1930s | Capes | Vintage Sewing

#CapeletAlong with SewRetroRose

By on April 8, 2015

I just finished up a sew-along collaboration between the lovely Beccie from SewRetroRose and Decades of Style, completing this lovely 1930’s Capelet.

Let me just tell you what an amazing project this was. I really feel that this one stretched my limits as a seamstress, and I learned some wonderful new techniques along the way.

Before I get to photos of the finished project, let me walk you through the construction.

On Beccie’s (SewRetroRose) suggestion I made a muslin for this project. I’m glad I did because while I didn’t need to make any huge changes, I felt much more confident when cutting into my fashion fabric. I must admit I do love the plaid fabric I used for the muslin, so this may get finished and be wearable one day.

I decided on this lovely light pink and brown houndstooth corduroy that I had about 4 yards of in my fabric stash. I felt that it had the perfect weight and drape for this project.

The bodice came together really easily in this project. I didn’t add the extra length to the cape as Beccie did with hers, nor did I do a full lining. I wanted to and honestly I bought a lovely chocolate brown satin that was to become the lining, but I chickened out on that at the last minute. Next time I’ll try the lining! I promise!

This project was the first time I’d done bound buttonholes. I’m so pleased with how they turned out, even though I ended up with a few minor mistakes, they came together so easily.

This is one of those minor mistakes… I didn’t think about the nap of the fabric and which direction each facing was well facing… Oops. 🙂 Honestly, I ended up with two going each direction in a alternating pattern, so I’m gonna sell it as a design element! 😉

Next I moved onto the cape itself. This was very easily put together.

Here is the cape pinned onto the bodice! Thank to my lovely Millie being there for fittings. She’s such a fabulous helper… and so quiet!!

And now here it is stitched into place. I did have to adjust the stitch line a bit because it didn’t lay just right the first time I sewed it down.

After that it was just a matter of finishing the armholes, adding and tacking the facings and sewing on the buttons. I was so excited to be in the home stretch on this one. I knew from using Millie that it was going to fit, but I really wanted to see how it looked on me, and that was next to impossible to know for sure without those buttons.

I catchstiched all of my facings, which was another first for me. I’ve never used that stitch before. I also bound all of my seams with bias… it’s a slightly different shade of brown that my fabric, but it’s on the inside and no one should notice.

I’m sure your all eager to see the finished capelet by now. So thanks for sticking around through this long and picture heavy post! You’re undoubtedly the best readers around!

Here she is in all of her glory. I feel like calling her Clara because I feel like this is something Clara Bow would have worn and loved. It’s just the right amount of glamour and sophistication.

Picture credit to silentsaregolden.com

I chose large brown wooden buttons with a filigree pattern jigsawed out of the center. I searched for days for the right buttons and I’m so pleased with these.

So there you have it! My completed Decades of Style 1930’s Capelet! Now she needs a skirt…

Look for this make in the near future… but not so near future. I’m leaving on Friday with my two little ones to get on a jet plane and fly home to Sunny Florida!! We’ll be gone for 17 days and it will be a much needed vacation from work and the cold dreary Ohio spring. See you all when I get back! There may be an update or two during the time I’m gone, I am taking my laptop, but there may not be if we get too busy having fun. So don’t despair if you don’t see me. I will be back!

Much love to you all!!

~MissKacySews

www.shessewbettie.blogspot.com

Continue Reading

1960s | Accessories | Capes | Dating Patterns | Pattern Drafting | Vintage Sewing

A cape for Poison Ivy

By on November 15, 2012

poison Ivy outfitI made a capelet for my daughter’s halloween costume… better late than never, hey?!

Poison Ivy was a fictional character, enemy of Batman, created by DC Comics. She made her debut appearance in 1966.

It was a very quick and easy project, self-drafted using the formula for a circle skirt with the addition of a ruffle on a collar stand.

poison ivy back

I used a weighty green polyester satin for the self and a polyester satin lining in red for the inside.

The only difficulty I had was sewing two very shiny fabrics together…nightmare!

I forgot to enclose the ribbon ties in the collar stand so I used a couple of glitzy buttons to hide the ends of the ribbon which were sewn to the right side!

poison ivy capelet

She was very happy with the result and she looked amazing with the whole ensemble! I just feel very old!!

poison ivy costume

I have included a ‘how-to‘ on my blog, just in case you fancy making one! 😉

Continue Reading