cape

 

I did my red wool cape based on 1967 McCall’s pattern ( n° 9028) , view B .

 

 

{ 7 comments }

poison Ivy outfitI made a capelet for my daughter’s halloween costume… better late than never, hey?!

Poison Ivy was a fictional character, enemy of Batman, created by DC Comics. She made her debut appearance in 1966.

It was a very quick and easy project, self-drafted using the formula for a circle skirt with the addition of a ruffle on a collar stand.

poison ivy back

I used a weighty green polyester satin for the self and a polyester satin lining in red for the inside.

The only difficulty I had was sewing two very shiny fabrics together…nightmare!

I forgot to enclose the ribbon ties in the collar stand so I used a couple of glitzy buttons to hide the ends of the ribbon which were sewn to the right side!

poison ivy capelet

She was very happy with the result and she looked amazing with the whole ensemble! I just feel very old!!

poison ivy costume

I have included a ‘how-to‘ on my blog, just in case you fancy making one! ;-)

{ 3 comments }

Today I’ve gotten side tracked by the 1930s because of a lovely piece of rust and cream herringbone wool given to me by a friend that just needed to be made into something 1930s and fabulous. Eva Dress SE30-1399 had been waiting in my pattern stash for just such an opportunity!

It goes smashingly with this 1930s sweater I also recently knit from A Stitch in Time Vol. 2. This whole ensemble has me wishing for more wintery days so I can wear it!

Find more details and a pattern review on my blog.

 

 

{ 11 comments }

 

Last Sunday I made this little cape in a pale blue felt mainly to double check a pattern before I cut it in something else but I like how it turned out and will wear it this Spring I expect. Originally conceived to go with a 1930′s style dress it now looks more 1950′s…

Below is the original collarless cape made to go with this 1930′s style velvet dress I made for New Years Eve (I like to be glam at least one night of the year!) The velvet is a good weight silk/rayon mix… I got it from a friend who said he’d had it at least 30 years so practically vintage fabric

As velvets go it was easy to sew, not horribly slippy like some velvets. The neck and sleeve edges are finished with self bias bindings, only pinked (scalloping shears actually) on the inside instead of folded under to cut down on bulk.

To hem I machine stay-stitched  just a fraction below the hem line, pinked close to the stitching and turned it up just past the stitching and hand caught it in place. It makes for a nice fluid hem on bias velvet and looks neat on the inside too.

I’ve put up a free pdf  pattern at the bottom of the linked post for making the blue collared style yourself.

{ 4 comments }