Being a fashion designer has it’s advantages. Creating your favorite version of sailor pants in a summer corduroy is one of them.
After much pattern searching and coming up empty-handed, I decided to work off of my vintage wool sailor pants. I found a great piece of military blue corduroy at the local goodwill, and figured if they didn’t work out I was only out $4 at the most.
The results were great, so I added some vintage red buttons from eBay, and searched the internet for eyelet how-to’s. I stole the lacing out of some pants headed to Goodwill.
Find out more details at http://hometownvictorygirls.blogspot.com/2013/11/ahoy-sailor-one-girls-love-affair-with.html
I made this dress from the Vintage Vogue pattern V8812. I made it with lavender gingham check. This is the fourth dress I’ve made so far, I started sewing about three months ago and I basically haven’t stopped since. I really loved the bodice of this dress but it was a challenge because it was the first time I had done any gathering, but I think it turned out well. I also really liked this dress because of the buttons up that back instead of a zipper. I had a lot of trouble putting those button holes in because that was a first as well, but they turned out alright. Thanks for looking, hope you like it!
Thanks to Del at Curlsnskirls I have found you and YOU have helped me feel not so weird! Thank you. The view of another’s collection of booty in their boot (trunk) is heart warming. Did think I may be the only one with such desires!
My latest is vintage haberdashery which in the coming weeks is being made into creations for a London Vintage Fair and hope you will be kindly critical friends to help me stay true to the vintage voyage.
BUTTONS, how many can one woman need? In my opinion no figure can be put on this quite frankly, I share with you a recent bender, the delicious little orbs sat on my bed beyond photographing for my pleasure but in order to protect my much valued marriage I did put them away by bedtime!
I made this dress for Julia Bobbin’s Mad Men Dress Challenge.
My inspiration was this teal dress that Joan wore in season 5.
I used Butterick 2952 as a base pattern, but I made several alterations and additions.
I added buttons on the front bodice, changed the neckline and drafted a collar to go with the neckline. Then, I drafted new facing pieces for the front and back. For a closer fit, I lengthened the darts on the front and back of the skirt. I also had to take the darts in a bit more at the waist. There is an invisible zip on the left side for closure, instead of a zipper in the back.
For more details and photos, see this post.
Hi fellow sewers!!!
I am currently in Year 12 and am studying Textiles & Design. For the HSC, we are required to make an item/s. I absolutely LOVE vintage things, especially fashion/hairstyles/makeup. My grandmothers fabulous dresses in the 1940s/50s/60s have inspired me to make this Vogue dress, a pair of white satin gloves and a felt pillbox hat:
To get more marks, I have decided to use a lilac Hemp/organic cotton material which is lovely and soft, as is a great colour too! I have also purchased some great buttons from Etsy.
So far, I have done a bit of work on the bust pieces:
and am now battling with the buttonholes. These are no ordinary machine buttonholes- they are buttonholes created the way they used to make them.
You sew around the buttonhole marking, then slice a cross evenly within the buttonhole square, then you push the material through to the other side and then pin and sew the material up ( very confusing)
Here is a great picture of my inspiration- my grandmother’s 1950s fashion-