buttons

In my attempt to keep up with recent goals of making things for myself and also using my vintage pattern stash, I chose this 1965 blouse pattern – View 4:

1965 Simplicity 5885

This was my first button backed top pattern. I like the idea, but honestly I’m not sure why this was so popular, as doing it up yourself is a little challenging – and that’s without wearing a girdle as most likely you would be in this era. I cannot imagine having to do up more than 4 buttons this way without a ladies’ maid.

Modified Simplicity 5885 (1965)

Modified Simplicity 5885 (1965) Back view.

The collar was of course very high and tight, so I lowered it in the front to make it more comfortable. I also took in the side seams a little to give the blouse some shape. It’s actually a pretty boxy design – ok if paired with a nipped waist skirt, but I wanted to be able to wear it untucked as well. The nice thing about making up new garments from vintage patterns is that I don’t feel guilty when making alterations! The nearly finished version of this blouse was relegated to the UFO pile for months awaiting a solution to the excessive ease issue that did not involve completely re-making it. See the ‘before’ pics on the original post here.

 

Simplicity 5885 Modified centre front with pin tucks.

Simplicity 5885 with a skirt.

In the end, I ended up having to remove the collar tabs and most of the neckline facing. I took about an inch out of the centre front by way of pin tucks, which also help give it a nicer line. I also extended the back shoulder darts down to the waist to help pull it in a bit more. It’s still a little on the boxy side, and if I make it again I’ll be sure to grade the whole thing down from the start. It does improve the look to wear it with a skirt or high waist pants. In the meantime, I’m planning to try out some other quick tops for summer from the vintage pattern stash.

~Heather

{ 14 comments }

After all of the indecision over the buttons, I settled for some plain black ones! So here’s a photo of the dress finished and the nice little godet on the back. I would have used a plain black fabric but I didn’t have enough leftovers so houndstooth it is :)

 

{ 18 comments }

Hi guys!

 

I fell in love with this pattern as soon as I clapped eyes on it! I finally got round to sewing it last night, im still deciding on buttons (it’s always a big decision for me) so it’s not completely finished yet.

I had to do quite a bit of adjusting on the pattern because im pretty short. I chose a torquoise and black houndstooth and a plain black trim. Theres a godet in the back centre seam, which I also did in the houndstooth.

Anyway heres a quick photo and I’ll post one of me wearing the dress once I’ve put the buttons on. Im really pleased with how it turned out :)

 

 

 

{ 7 comments }

I decided to copy cat the 1969 vintage look on the envelope of Vogue pattern 7663.  The short sleeved dress is loose fitting with a dropped waist and front button banded placket, the skirt is one way pleated all around. 

I changed the pattern slightly to accommodate my much loved ponte knit fabric. I achieved this by removing the back neckline darts and stitching down the front button placket 

More on the blog: Sew Melodic

{ 10 comments }