Butterick

Thought you lovely folks would appreciate the stack of vintage patterns I just thrifted for 10 cents each. I may have squealed in the store….

A pile of vintage treasures!

A sampling of my faves here, but check out the full blog post for all 20!

Butterick 8381 (1958)

Simplicity 5059 (1960s)

Simplicity 8656 (1969) Those collars!

Sew Lovely P500 (1970)

{ 8 comments }

After all of the indecision over the buttons, I settled for some plain black ones! So here’s a photo of the dress finished and the nice little godet on the back. I would have used a plain black fabric but I didn’t have enough leftovers so houndstooth it is :)

 

{ 18 comments }

Hi guys!

 

I fell in love with this pattern as soon as I clapped eyes on it! I finally got round to sewing it last night, im still deciding on buttons (it’s always a big decision for me) so it’s not completely finished yet.

I had to do quite a bit of adjusting on the pattern because im pretty short. I chose a torquoise and black houndstooth and a plain black trim. Theres a godet in the back centre seam, which I also did in the houndstooth.

Anyway heres a quick photo and I’ll post one of me wearing the dress once I’ve put the buttons on. Im really pleased with how it turned out :)

 

 

 

{ 7 comments }

 

So, I found this amazing pattern for a smoking jacket from 1951, Butterick 1769. Despite being neither a smoker nor an idle rich guy from a Hollywood melodrama, my Husband decided he needed one in classic satin and quilted velvet. He accompanied me to the fabric store on a Saturday (an event never to be repeated), where he picked out this gorgeous Asian style brocade. We splurged and bought the fancy dress velvet to do the collar and cuffs. I made up a muslin sample, which actually fit him pretty good. I just needed to shorten the sleeves and he decided he would prefer a belt to buttons, so I drafted one. This is where the fun ensued. Slick satin just refuses to be sewn, especially when you are trying to meaningfully join it to any type of napped fabric. Sheer hell. Puckering. I ended up using tissue paper between the layers, which helped some, but not enough. I had to hand baste the batting to the velvet to do the quilting, which took forever and isn’t totally even. The piping was a pain, and in retrospect I should have used a finer weight cording. To top it off, I forgot to cut the back pleat into the lining, which I didn’t discover until I handed the jacket to my Husband to try on. I had to buy more fabric to recut it. Despite the hellacious and neverending trouble this pattern gave me, I still think it turned out pretty good. My Husband likes to strut around the house with a martini while wearing it, so mission accomplished. The moral of the story is that choice of fabric and finish details can make a BIG difference in your work load!

 

 

{ 11 comments }