Butterick 5748

Hi fellow retro sewists! Melissa here. This is dress that I made over a year ago and photographed this past summer. I’m finally posting it even though it’s totally inappropriate for Fall/Winter (except maybe for you Aussies and Kiwis!). Here’s my version of Butterick B5708.

I decided to change the pattern a bit and use the circle skirt from Butterick 5748 instead of the original gathered skirt. The fabric I used is from a vintage sheet I found at a thrift store and since it’s white, I lined the dress, including the skirt. The top is meant to be convertible and the pattern envelope shows several ways to wear the ties. To me though, they’ve been difficult to tie and a little uncomfortable and I wish I had modified the top so that they sit higher on my shoulders!

Thanks for checking out my dress! Have any of you made Butterick B5708?

For more pictures and info, here’s my post on my blog, Scavenger Hunt.

-Melissa

{ 9 comments }

Hi, I’m Melissa, a blogger and longtime sewing enthusiast from the central coast of California. This is my first post on WeSewRetro. I’m so excited to share one of my favorite sewing projects with fellow vintage lovers!

The idea for this project began when I found this amazing fabric at a thrift store in the form of some old curtains. I loved the print and the colors, and  I knew I could give those curtains new life as a dress. I decided to try it out on one of my new retro Butterick patterns, #5748. I modified the pattern slightly due to the directional design of my fabric, making a gored skirt instead of the circle skirt of the pattern. I made the bow removable so I can change the look a little bit.

You can check out my post for this dress here on my blog, Scavenger Hunt. -Melissa

{ 10 comments }

This dress has been percolating for a while, ever since I admired this project on Burdastyle. I love 50′s dresses but making one with such an unexpected print felt much more modern and wearable for me.I used a mix of two rather psychedelic African wax prints. Both have a fuchsia batik background but with large silkscreened acorns and eyes superimposed on top. Trippy AND awesome.

I used Butterick 5748, a reproduction pattern from the 50′s. It was super easy to make. I lined it with cotton voile and poly organza to make a nice full skirt that wouldn’t need a crinolone (as per Gertie’s suggestion). You can find more photos and info at my blog here.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

{ 7 comments }