bustle

I made this dress to wear to a Downton Abbey inspired tea, but also as an entry into the Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge #3 Pink.  The pattern itself is a repro of an original 1921 Butterick pattern and it went together very nicely.  For being such an old pattern the instructions were much better than what you find on BurdaStyle magazines, although they are wholly inadequate Big Four standards today. I used a poly shantung for economical reasons but other than that, the dress is pretty historically accurate.  Actually, it’s not a dress but a skirt suspended from a “long underbody” and then a blouse on top. I am very happy with how it turned out.  It’s not something I can just wear around but it served its purpose, and I think I’m going to use during Costume College for day activities.  For more pictures and a description of the Historical Sew Fortnightly challenge, please visit my blog.  I almost forgot, I made the hat too, using Simplicity 1736 and wool/rayon felt.

 

As a side note, I hadn’t made any posts since the blog was moved over from Blogger but I could have sworn I had an account.  Apparently I didn’t so I had to create one, and it’s showing that I have no other posts.  Bummer.

{ 5 comments }

It’s officially Mardi Gras day down here in the Crecent City. I made this piece for a solo costume show last season. I was so slammed this year with costume commissions that I neglected to make a costume for myself this year. This is still one of my favorites in my collection. It was one of those pieces that kicked around my head for years before I finally actualized it. I made everything but her pasties, shoes, and wig. The chemise is based off a 70′s peasant blouse pattern. The under bustle and under-bust corset (greatly altered) are both based on Past Patters patterns. The bustle skirt I made sans pattern. It was one of those “make it happen” creations. Everything but the corset are silks. My beautiful friend Oops models it in these pics.

{ 3 comments }