I had been saving this sheet for a project for a while (well, a couple of years!) and since I got a lovely new sewing machine last month, decided to turn it into the 50s inspired border print frock that poor old sheet had been dreaming about all that time!! I drafted a simple pattern with the help of some vintage “And so to Sew” booklets produced by the National Dressmaking Service in Glasgow in the 50s – no guessing that the skirt was simply the width of the border print fabric cut to length. I also got to use some pretty vintage buttons which my Dad found for me (yes, he is a fully trained Buttoneer!) More on my blog.
There’s nothing better than finding vintage (or looks-like-vintage) fabric at an op-shop!
This pirate border print begged to be turned into a 1950s dirndl skirt (basic dirndl instructions are on my blog here). It’s a beauty, a 5 meter length with pirates, parrots, ships and treasure.
Arn’t dirndl’s just the most easiest skirts to sew? I’m about to teach a sewing classs and am getting everyone to sew a one.
Just recently finished this dress (getting the bulk of it done over Memorial Day weekend), based on the 1970s Simplicity 7011 pattern.
The construction was pretty simple, except for the portions where I altered the border print placement. A great summer dress, I think, and I got compliments on it all day!
The pattern works out quite well for maternity wear, but I am also glad that I’ll enjoy wearing it after the bump is replaced by a baby. 🙂
Pictures and more details on the construction and alterations I made (minimal) can be found at my blog.
And just to make sure I’m giving enough information on these blogposts at We Sew Retro, please let me know if you want more information included here before I direct you to my blog. I want to make sure you enjoy the read here, but also don’t feel I’m waxing overly detailed either.
I recently made Simplicity 6057 from a crazy border print poly from an estate sale! It’s a girl pattern, but it fits me and my lack of boobs. I made view 2 with the full length and long sleeves. It’s pretty “bold” looking and I plan on wearing it to parades when I visit my friends for Mardi Gras. It’s pretty comfy and I might just wear it around the house! More pictures on my blog, here.
I also finally finished re-fitting and rehabbing a vintage lace dress from a vintage shop’s closing sale. The lace was really tattered and it needed a lot of hand sewing to repair it. I also needed to take in the top a lot to prevent it from falling down. More pictures here.