Yellow Roses

By on September 15, 2013

I needed a dress for Melbourne cup last year so I did a pattern mash up to get exactly what I wanted. Betty Draper eat your heart out! 😉


I bought up some lovely printed cotton from Spotlight, one of their vintage reproduction fabrics with yellow roses on it. I bought about 5 metres of it because it was on sale, I loved it, and any 1950′s style dress takes up a hell of a lot of fabric. I had an idea of what I wanted to make up but I didn’t actually have a pattern that matched it directly, so it was mash up time! I used the bodice of Simplicity 1873 but grafted it so it had a higher neck and a lower back finish. I then used a gathered skirt pattern from Vogue 8723. I also took a sleeve pattern from unfortunately I dont know where. My memory has quickly faded. Most shirt sleeves from a shirt pattern would do the trick. I bought white cotton voille to line the bodice and kept the sleeves unlined.

It was quite easy to pull the different pattern pieces together. What made it easy was that it had a gathered skirt which can adjust to how you want it to the bodice. There’s no matching seams, darts or pleats. I did add about an inch to the skirt bottom so it fell under the knee. Adding the sleeves was a little trickier so that required a couple of fittings as I went along. I opted to have the zipper go down the side seam rather than back as I was a bit concerned that having lowered the back it might end up gaping at the top of a zipper. By having it on the side it is well hidden.

More pics on my blog: http://www.bobbinandbaste.com/2013/08/yellow-roses/


Continue Reading

Vintage Sewing

Betty Draper Mad Men Dress

By on March 13, 2013

I had a bit of a deadline for this frock. I wanted to wear it to the wedding of a girl whose dress I made.

By the time her dress was delivered, the Melbourne Autumn Winter fashion season was upon me, as well as a musical production I only had a week & very few free hours to sew.

I have been lusting after the Betty Draper cocktail dress from Mad Men season one(?) and also saving this gorgeous piece of Vintage Mark Learner/Learnerson Fabrics cotton sateen for just the right dress & occasion. I decided the wedding someone I used to babysit, who had asked me to make her dress when she was 5, was just the right occasion.
I tolied the bodice on the Saturday before the wedding, then the sewing gods freed up two more half days for me to get this baby done. I was still stitching the hem before I had to dash to work for 4 hours, before the wedding

I used Vogue 9712 & drafted my own ruched panel.
I am so pleased with how it turned out.
I also got to wear my gorgeous wedding petticoat underneath it, although it was close to 40c/100f so I ditched the petticoat after the ceremony.

The petticoat is hanging behind the dress on my bedroom door & was not some weird sleeves, as a few people thought on Facebook post.

Continue Reading