1950s | 1960s | Dresses | Vintage Sewing

Blackmore So-Easy 9266

By on May 31, 2017
vintage blackmore 9266

vintage blackmore 9266

The pattern and the fabric were just waiting for each other… and for the the penny to drop, given both have been in stash for quite some time!

I’m not sure of the date, maybe late 50s or 60s? But its definitely a style I’m fond of. And works perfectly with the bark cloth. I just love the tropical print and it was lovely to sew up.

vintage blackmore 9266 sewing pattern

It took 3 toiles to fit and I’m happy with the result but still needs a few small adjustments. Namely the position of the straps and tweaking the bodice a bit more. I had to take in the skirt substantially to get a snug fit. The pattern illustration is a bit misleading as per usual!

vintage blackmore 9266 dress front view

Shame I didn’t have enough fabric for the little jacket but to be honest a little black linen jacket would do just fine.

For more details, hop over to ooobop!

Continue Reading

Vintage Sewing

A Mod Dress from Simplicity 1609

By on January 23, 2014

Hi everyone! This is my first post here, although I’ve commented quite a bit! I thought I’d share a fairly easy dress I made from a Simplicity reproduction retro pattern.

So… here goes! I found this pattern at Joann’s and waited until it was on sale to get it. I was a little hesitant about making a mod dress since I don’t quite have the shape for this style. But I figured what the heck! I dug through my fabric stash and found this neat black polka-dotted double-knit fabric I’d bought some time ago. I wanted a warm fabric since it’s still winter.

There weren’t too many pattern pieces. The view without the bow has even less than the view i went with. The construction was pretty easy, good thing too since this pattern is labeled as a “jiffy” pattern. The neck and arm holes are lined with interfacing, giving a bit more structure to the dress.

I didn’t really make any alterations to the pattern except for the bow. My fabric choice didn’t really accommodate the bow the pattern outlined. The pattern called for a bow with tails, which didn’t look that great with my double-knit. So instead I made more of a bow-tie. I’m glad I did, it turned out much to my liking!

The only question now is where to wear it!

Some Finished pictures:

To see the detailed construction of this dress check out my blog: thestitchholder.blogspot.com

Continue Reading