3688

At the beginning of the year I set myself the goal of sewing three items of clothing that I’ve never made before – trousers, a swimsuit, and a coat. One down, two to go, as I recently made my first pair of trousers!
Vintage Simplicity 3688 19040s Trousers
These were made using Simplicity 3688 which is a reproduction 1940s pattern. The pattern envelope includes both the adorable original illustrations, and photos of the finished items which (while not exactly thrilling photos) allow you to get a sense of the finished shape.
Vintage Simplicity 3688 19040s Trousers
I would totally recommend these trousers to other trouser newbies. They are made from only three pattern pieces (five fabric pieces) and are a quick make (my favourite kind!). Personally I love the vintage shape with the high waist & wide leg. I used a grey polyester suiting fabric which has a nice drape which suits the wide leg & is light-weight for the summer.
Vintage Simplicity 3688 19040s Trousers

Vintage Simplicity 3688 19040s Trousers
I was lucky enough to get to take these photographs in the Lake District, actually at Beatrix Potter’s House and just outside. For those outside the UK who may not know it, the Lake District it is like a storybook version of England – all tiny villages, countryside, slate and stones walls. Basically it’s gorgeous.

More photos and nattering on my blog, English Girl at Home

{ 4 comments }

V for Victory!

by Bex on September 22, 2013 · 11 comments

in 1940s,Mildly Insane Photo

I know it’s not technically sewing, but I thought some of you might like to see my finished 1940′s victory jumper…

The pattern is Patons 876, and was really enjoyable to knit!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

‘Victory’ clothing was worn either before the War (WWII) ended to show support for the troops - or after, to celebrate the ‘Victory’ of War ending.

The skirt is made from Simplicity 3688 (1940s re-issue) using navy gaberdine – it’s actually my favourite suspender skirt with the suspenders removed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was abit touch and go with working out how much yarn I needed to make this – in the end it only took four balls of light grey, just over one ball of charcoal and half a ball of red.  Even though I love the jumper to death it’s not something I would make again – it’s very distinctive!

The full story and technical info is on my blog if anyone’s curious.

x

Bex

 

{ 11 comments }