1975

After listening to the blog world flip out over this trouser pattern, I finally jumped on the bandwagon & made some for myself. You guys – they are TOTALLY deserving of all the fuss! Such a great, simple trouser pattern, with a nearly perfect fit out of the envelope. Consider me in love :)

Simplicity 3688; McCall's 4488
Mine are made with a very lightweight denim chambray – probably a bit *too* lightweight, as all the wrinkles show (and then some that don’t even exist in real life, ahaha) & they sort of look like pajamas. But they are classy pajamas… right? It’s 100* here right now, cut me a break :)

Simplicity 3688; McCall's 4488
The only alteration I made was to extend the back crotch about 1/2″ to make some extra room for my butt, and taper in the waistline to fit my waist. I don’t understand why the smallest size offered is a 10, by the way. Where is the 4-8?

Simplicity 3688; McCall's 4488
I also made the crop top – it’s McCall’s 4488 from 1975. It’s a little scandalous for every day wear, but totally works with the super high waist of these trousers :)

Thanks for looking! As always, there is more info/pictures on my blog, LLADYBIRD.

{ 3 comments }

Just recently finished this dress (getting the bulk of it done over Memorial Day weekend), based on the 1970s Simplicity 7011 pattern.

heron border print dress

The construction was pretty simple, except for the portions where I altered the border print placement. A great summer dress, I think, and I got compliments on it all day!

pattern picture

The pattern works out quite well for maternity wear, but I am also glad that I’ll enjoy wearing it after the bump is replaced by a baby. :)

Pictures and more details on the construction and alterations I made (minimal) can be found at my blog.

And just to make sure I’m giving enough information on these blogposts at We Sew Retro, please let me know if you want more information included here before I direct you to my blog. I want to make sure you enjoy the read here, but also don’t feel I’m waxing overly detailed either.

Thanks!

-Seeks

 

 

{ 2 comments }

I finally got some sewing done! I had a lousy cold this weekend but I couldn’t waste four days off, right?

McCall’s 4866, View A (the blue dress at far left):

View A (blue dress at far left)

Which turned out like this!

The pockets aren't actually crooked, I swear.

I made some small changes:
1) Took it in one size above the waist.
2) Lowered the sleeve caps by an inch.
3) Lengthened the sleeves by two inches (one to make up for the loss of the sleeve cap, one because I have monkey arms)
4) Added patch pockets. This is more of a side-seam pocket type of dress but I had my heart set on patch pockets.

In the future I will:
1) Reduce the fullness of the sleeves. Very Seventies stylin’ but not very practical.
2) Add an inch or two to the hem. It looks longer here because of the photo angle but I did a 1/2 inch fold-over hem with hem tape and it hits me right at the knee. Just barely long enough.
3) Raise the bottom of the neck slit two inches(!!).
4) Take that extra inch of length back out of the sleeves.
5) Do a regular bound slit in the sleeve below the cuff. The instructions asked for this weird cut-away-a-section thing that was difficult to finish and left what I think is a weak point in a place that will be stressed if you roll up the sleeves.

Basically, though, I love this dress. It does have a self-tie for the waist but I like belts better.

Flickr set needs editing but it’s here. Mostly shots of awkward self-taught pattern grading.

{ 4 comments }

This is the first time I have contributed to this new site and it has been a very long while since the last time I posted on Sew Retro.

Anyway,this outfit is a combination of ┬áSimplicity 7260 and Kwik Sew 737 both dating from the 70′s and can be seen on my blog

www.themakingsofanurbanrustic.blogspot.com

Thanks!

 

{ 2 comments }