1958

Simplicity 2522

by June on May 11, 2014 · 1 comment

in 1950s,Blouses,Shirts

I chose this pattern to enter the garment on the PatternReview “Vintage” challenge.  It’s a 1958 pattern for blouses with bateau necklines.  I actually love the look of the blouse, but it has some fit issues that weren’t obvious with the muslin and I really wish I had caught before I cut the fashion fabric.  That said, I am smitten with the little bows on the trim and I did get compliments on the blouse when I wore it today.  For more blurb, please visit my blog.

 

 

{ 1 comment }

shirtdress

The fabric for this dress is pretty hit-or-miss – both my mom & boyfriend HATE it, but I think it’s kinda cute! What do you think? :)

The pattern is Simplicity 2458, a sweet little shirtwaist dress with sleeve & skirt options. I went with view 2, although I significantly shortened the sleeves & the skirt (the original hem came down to my ankles. Ew!). The only fitting adjustment I made was to add about 1/2″ to the side seams below the bust dart – everything else fit beautifully straight out of the envelope!

Shirtwaist Dress

Shirtwaist Dress
I need to change the buttons out because I think the white ones cheapen the look. Buttons are so expensive, though!

Shirtwaist Dress - with petticoat
Here is the dress with a petticoat. How very Betty Draper of me :)

Shirtwaist Dress - no belt

As always, lots more pictures & info at my blog, LLADYBIRD.

{ 10 comments }

Silk Shell Top

I made this top out of a long silk skirt I picked up at the thrift store for $2. The pattern is Simplicity 4400 from 1958, and the embroidery is from the fantastic Flickr group Hoop Love Vintage Transfers.

The top was a little billowy for my tastes, so I added vertical waist darts to give some shape :)

Silk Shell Top

Silk Shell Top
It looks good tucked in, too!

Silk Shell Top - embroidery
The embroidery is very simple – split stitch on the rose, back stitch on the leaves/stems.

As always, more pictures/info on my blog, LLADYBIRD.

{ 6 comments }

Here is my most recent vintage reproduction sewing project.  I have so many patterns in the stash crying out for a little attention, but once I got my paws on this new one, I just couldn’t resist cutting into some fabric.  In my defense, the silk has been in living in a drawer for a few years, so those other patterns will just have to wait their turn!

And if I was not obsessed with finishing off every seam with my rayon seam binding, this dress would have been a super quick and easy project.

More pictures may be found over on my blog, Lilacs & Lace.

{ 2 comments }