1950s | Coats | Vintage Sewing

2015 Sew-tember Sew Along Vogue 1083

By on September 10, 2015

Hello We Sew Retro readers!

I’m so excited that this month is September, because if you haven’t heard already September is National Sewing Month. Which means this is #Sewtember, as I call it.

This year for #Sewtember I’ve decided to host my very first Sew Along and would like to invite all who are interested in joining the fun.

For this fun month long Sew Along each participant will be working on Vogue pattern v1083. This is a reproduction of a Vintage Vogue 1953 ladies coat.

If you’ve had the chance to read my blog (Akram’s Ideas), you may have seen a few coats I made in the last few month.

The first coat I ever attempted was back in March, of this year. It was a lovely pink fleece coat I made from my toddler niece using McCall’s pattern 4647.

Fleece Coat, McCalls 4647
Pink coat made for my niece, Layla.

I wasn’t sure what to expect when I made this coat, because I had heard that coat construction can be rather difficult. However, the coat seemed to come together rather nicely. No big hiccups and I loved working with fleece.

After getting my feet wet with in coat making I decided to make a coat of my own. I ended up making a vintage swing coat using, vintage Simplicity pattern 4191 from my stash.

The coat was made in part of the Your Fleece Fashion Contest, hosted by Your Fleece, an online Fleece retailer. I ended up making this coat out of red fleece, provided by Your Fleece, and finished the lining using some red statin from my fabric stash.

I entered the contest purely for fun, I still consider myself a novice sewer, besides I had planned to make a swing coat anyways. Despite what I thought about my sewing skills, somehow or another I managed to win the  Your Fleece Fashion Contest.

red swing coat
Posing in my swing coat.

I can’t say how much I love this coat it’s fantastic! It’s not only a great fashion statement it’s so cozy soft thanks to the fabulous fleece.

While I adored my first attempt at making a swing coat, I decided I’d like to make myself another. This time around I wanted to make a longer coat and while I’m at it , I thought why not share my sewing journey on this project as a Sew Along.

When planning the Sew Along I decided to choose a pattern that would accessible to others who might want to join the fun. Vogue’s vintage reproduction pattern v1083 was exactly what I was looking for. It had the class 1950’s swing coat style and it is still readily available for purchase.

The plan for the Sew Along is pretty simple. I’ll be posting once a week (typically on Saturday) my progress along with tips and tricks about sewing the coat.

I’ve also created a Flickr group (:https://www.flickr.com/groups/2015-sew-tember-v1083/) for all participants to join and share photos, discussions and comments on their own and other’s makes in the Sew Along. At the end of the sew along (in early October) I’ll be compiling a video montage of all the coats of participants in the Sew Along.

Akram's Ideas 2015 Sewtember Sew Along
Akram’s Ideas 2015 Sewtember Sew Along

So, with that said. I’d like to once again invite all you wonderful lovely vintage sewers to be apart of this Sew Along and join the fun in making Vogue pattern v1083. The first (getting started) post will debut this Saturday (Sept 12) over at Akram’s Ideas.

Hope to have you join the fun.

–Akram Taghavi-Burris
Bringing Creative and Crazy Ideas to Life.

Continue Reading

1950s

Simplicity 4137, a 1950s Petticoat

By on October 27, 2011

Hello!  Wanted to pop in and share my latest project 🙂

Autumn has me dreaming of pretty 1950s frocks a la Funny Face, but first I thought I needed to address proper foundations to help the silhouette.  Since my last petticoat met an unfortunate demise at the paws of our two felines, it was time to re-address the petticoat question.  I had previously made over a 1980s prom dress from a thrift store find into a 1950s skirt, and I was never too happy with the shape.  I pulled it out of the closet as the perfect candidate for a make-over.  I cut it apart, and with the addition of some solid black taffeta, I had enough fabric to use the pattern I had in mind.

The pattern I used for this project was Simplicity 4137, a vintage pattern from 1953.  Mine is missing a front cover, but here’s the illustration image from the instructions:

I made view 1.  This pattern was EASY and was pretty fast to sew! It probably took me under 4 hours to sew, and I wasn’t moving fast.

I also have to add, in case any of you are thinking of making up this pattern, that the tulle underlay was NOT originally included in the pattern or instructions.  I just wanted extra fluff, so this is the piece that was cut straight out of that 80′s prom dress, just trimmed down at the top and added at the bottom of the petticoat yoke.  I think it does the job really well, and I’m also quite pleased at the extra body given by the taffeta! Below is an inside-out shot in case any of you are interested in attempting a similar project:

So that’s it! My latest little sewing project.  More on blog Wearing History.

Continue Reading