1950s

The fabulous Bobbie Barret was the inspiration for my entry into Julia Bobbin’s Mad Men Dress Challenge 3. I chose Butterick 9497, with this lovely purple fabric from an op shop. I decided to make a hat to accessorise, as ‘business’ Bobbie is rarely seen without a perfectly styled hat, fortunately I had the body [...]

{ 3 comments }

After all of the indecision over the buttons, I settled for some plain black ones! So here’s a photo of the dress finished and the nice little godet on the back. I would have used a plain black fabric but I didn’t have enough leftovers so houndstooth it is  

{ 17 comments }

Hi guys!   I fell in love with this pattern as soon as I clapped eyes on it! I finally got round to sewing it last night, im still deciding on buttons (it’s always a big decision for me) so it’s not completely finished yet. I had to do quite a bit of adjusting on [...]

{ 7 comments }

Back in October I posted on here an introduction to a big sewing project I was taking on: reproducing a version of Charles James’ Tree Gown: My excuse for tackling this, apart from the challenge of it, was to wear at the 2014 Toronto Garrison Ball.  Which was actually last weekend – yes, the dress [...]

{ 52 comments }

What can I say about circle skirts? I love wearing them. I love making them. I love love love them! I had my heart set on making a circle skirt from this great pink and purple fabric but alas, I didn’t have quite enough! So it was math to the rescue and I made a [...]

{ 3 comments }

Unlike most of my vintage-inspired sewing projects, this one isn’t from a self drafted pattern, but made from a late ’50s – early ´60s sport shirt pattern that mysteriously existed among my sewing patterns. The fabric is from a Scandinavian fabric store chain called Stoff&Stil and with such lovely ’50s style rocket ships I just [...]

{ 0 comments }

For the holidays, I made a green and red dress. I picked up this wonderful festive green fabric while in Ghana, West Africa, and it has served me well for several projects. I started with a sloper from 1961, and I turned the tight round neckline into a boat neck with a slight scoop. I [...]

{ 4 comments }

Just sneaking my last bit of vintage sewing into the end of 2013 – some basic women’s summer tops using Simplicity 2118 (circa late 1950s).                                   This is what the pattern sleeve looks like – I went with View 1. [...]

{ 7 comments }

Firstly a frankenpattern is a PR (pattern review) term for getting several patterns and taking elements you then combine to make your own unique item. In this case it was butterick 5556 and lisette 2246. I made my usual adjustments to the bodice. Adding a little to the side seams usually doesn the trick. And [...]

{ 1 comment }

This was a last-minute, impulse project – that’s the only way I sew anything for myself, to be honest. The pattern is Vogue 9059 – one of my favorite Vogues of all time. It took me the better part of two years to find it in my size for a price I could afford – [...]

{ 10 comments }