1940s dress

Many thanks to everyone who gave advice for finishing this dress.

I used this cotton Donna Wilder Fabric

 

I took off all the ruffles, took it in at the waist, shortened the sleeves, and hemmed it to hit right at the knee.  I would have liked a navy belt to go with it, but I don’t have a navy belt buckle yet, so I added my vintage red flower buckle belt I created for another dress last year.  I wore it out last weekend when a friend and I went to Colonial Williamsburg (which explains the large tag and the large straw hat on my head – my friend and I do Revolutionary re-enactments, so the hat will become one of my props!).   And I even got a few compliments on the dress from other tourists there!  This one is sure to be worn many times.

 

 

Can't resist acting like a model

{ 2 comments }

Hi All!

I’ve finished another sewing project! This one is a mid 1940s day dress. I knew the pattern would be a touch large for me, but I went ahead and made it up anyway without making any alterations. And guess what? Yup, it was a little too big! Well, actually it’s quiet wearable but a bit too roomy in the bust area for me. And that’s perfectly OK because I’m hoping this dress will work for someone else.

The dress is made from a red and white striped cotton that is light and slightly springy. It’s machine sewn but the neck, sleeves, and hem I finished all by hand. The fabric really drapes and moves beautifully so I think this would be perfect for swing dancing! I believe it’s a cotton/rayon or cotton/nylon blend. It was a left over piece from my fabric stash so I’m not really sure.

The neckline has a great key-hole detail and closes with a hidden hook and eye. There is also a zipper on the left side. I did not add the bow at the neck as shown in the pattern but that can be added in a jiffy! I added a black bow belt for contrast in the pictures, which sadly are a little washed out. I soooo need a new camera! The fabric is really a nice bright red in person. This dress is listed on Etsy if anyone is interested. I also have a few more pictures on my blog.

{ 3 comments }

So I made my second 40′s dress. I am beginning to really understand the old patterns and sometimes think they are actually easier then the modern ones and am getting better each time. I really love this one with all of the buttons and neck line. Although the pictures do not show this so well, it really does nip in at the waist like the pattern picture, very feminine.  With researching rations and coupons of the wartime, buttons were used rather more then metal zippers. Fits really comfortably and I love the material. Perfect for this hot weather.

Another one showing the dress with my new 40′s replica shoes, love them and sooo comfortable. I am so not good at having my picture taken, usual reason you see my items on a mannequin.

{ 8 comments }

Hello fellow vintage sewists!

This dress is probably one of my favorites that I’ve made for myself.

Butterick 5281

This dress is a 1946 reproduction Retro Butterick 5281.  The fabric I used is Anna Sui “Owl Eyes” Rayon/Cotton Challis.  I’ve never sewn with challis before and found it to be a pretty easy sew fabric.  After prewashing it got pretty soft and goes perfect with the light tan cotton batiste that I used for the lining.  I used a cotton twill for the belt and added some fuschia buttons for a faux closure on the bodice.  I made this dress to enter in Fabric Mart’s Julie’s Picks contest (which starts this week for voting!) and also for Lucky Lucille’s Sew for Victory.  I wore this to a meeting last week and it got some rave reviews!  There is nothing that I don’t like about this dress and as it’s a very wearable vintage inspired garment, I definitely plan to be sporting it for years to come. :)

Butterick 5281

 

Happy Sewing!

 

 

 

 

 

Further info/photos on my blog

{ 1 comment }