I read a review of this pattern at the Pattern Review site and fell in love with it. I of course had to order the pattern. I did so and also ordered a 1950’s style blouse pattern and a 1945 skirt pattern which I hope to make in the near future. I had to make several fitting adjustments as regretfully I am a little larger than the measurements for this blouse. All turned out I well I think. Those adjustments included full bust adjustment, adding width to waist and lengthening the top by 2 inches.
I wish I could say that I made the jacket with the Singer machine, but the jacket was actually finished last month and I only got the machine a few days ago. The jacket is Simplicity 4047, made in aquamarine velvet, with a taupe lining. I made it to go with a gold-coloured lace wiggle dress I bought awhile ago.
The Singer was a birthday present from my roommate. It’s serial number dates it back to 1930, and it still works! She also got me a couple boxes of attachments, but they haven’t arrived yet. I’m really hoping they will include the ‘Ruffler’ foot. I’m thinking that I’ll test out the machine on the shirt from the same pattern set.
This may have been the Novemeber Challenge extended to January, I’m not sure..
Make something from a ‘current retro pattern’ so – behold Simplicity Pattern No. 4044, 1940’s suit. I’ve only managed to run up a pair of pants so far, and they are incredibly comfy!
I had to adjust the darts on the waistband as my waist isn’t as narrow as the pattern, but they’re a good fit. I was having a good old moan the other day about not being able to find any nice fabric locally. I’d really love to make the short sleeved pant suit for summer and will have to do a thorough fabric search, something with abstract flowers I think 😉
These pants will be great for jiving in, I just need to make a few cotton shirts that tie at the waist now…
This is from a current Vintage Vogue pattern (2934) for a 1950’s jacket. The jacket is actually quite simple to make, however it is a bit time consuming as the lining is entirely hand sewn. The fabric flower was made from scraps of vintage kimono and a wool blend felt. The instructions from Threads magazine #128.
It was a fun project to work on. This one is black wool with a lilac satin lining. I plan on looking for a beautiful piece of velvet or silk to make another one to have one hand for “special” occasions.
I posted this days ago but for some reason the images were not showing.
I haven’t finished my October project yet, but I did make a solid color skirt earlier in the month. It’s a new pattern – Simplicity 4703 – and I used new fabric. Here’s what it looks like:
It’s my new favorite skirt, I’ve been wearing it several times a week! I’m really happy with the way it turned out (ignore the hem in the photo – I’ve fixed the lumpy parts now.) I took my time and made sure to undo any crappy stitching, and only had to put the zipper in twice!