A Kitschy Kimono Blouse



I recently finished a mid-century style kimono top with Pictorial Review 5929. I’ts a simple kimono sleeve tunic from the early 1930′s.  I found a fantastic southwest themed novelty rayon at Stone Mountain and Daughter and wanted to choose a simple design to let the great print stand out.  I’ve sewn it twice already in silk and have also made the lounge pants out of a wool twill.

Pictorial Review 5929

Pictorial Review 5929


I changed the square neck to a scoop neck and added rows of kelly green, pink and red ric rac.  I really enjoyed the process of combining the different ric rac colors and sizes and I can see myself doing another neckline like this, maybe a 50′s style peasant top with a fun metallic ric rac yoke.  Here I am wearing the blouse at the farmer’s market.



I’ve just launched my vintage sewing blog,  She Dreams In Deco , come and check it out!

Cherries and trouble


Hello again! I’m here to show you another dress that I’ve recently finished. It’s actually my fourth dress ever and I love it to bits. It’s my best sew up until now. It’s lined, the seams are straight, the side zipper is hand picked beautifully, the hem is even and the shape of the skirt is lovely –and I’m really proud of that last effort because it was of my own design.


Buuut, of course there were trouble along the way and even though I sized down the pattern to better fit my bust, it is still too big. I have no idea how that happened because I’ve been fitting it and checking if everything works well on my manneqin all the time and I was pleased with the result but when everything was finished, well… the bodice is too large on me in the bust area! In the second photo you can see the ugly tucks that I made to help it just a little.

Does anyone here have experience with old German patterns? Is there a lot of ease given in them? I keep having the same problem time and time again with these patterns and they are what I mainly use so… well, I’d really appreciate any suggestions.

You can see more photos of this dress on my blog, come take a look!

Sporty Separates

I’m not one for actual sports or sporting events but I do love the sporty look popular in the 1930s. In need of some separates, I sewed up this outfit.

Will Thorpe Photography_PPSO_August-4952

The pants are a refashion of some 1930s trousers that I made ages ago. They were way to big and just not flattering! So I deconstructed them and reused the blue linen for a new pair of pants.

Will Thorpe Photography_PPSO_August-4940

The blouse I made from Simplicity 3173 from the 1930s. I also snagged some cute repro 1930s printed cotton that was just perfect for this blouse! You can’t tell from here but it also has small navy bits in the print which makes my inner matchy-matchy sense happy!

Will Thorpe Photography_PPSO_August-4948

I’m quite happy with how both of these pieces turned out. I even have some khaki cotton twill that would be just perfect for another pair of pants! I’m so ready for fall!

More photos and construction details are over on my blog.

1940′s blouse and skirt in silk

Despite the dearth of posts I have not abandoned my 40′s wardrobe bulding project. In fact, I have several things finished, I just haven’t got around taking any pictures of it. Bad me. Anyway, in early August we went for a picknic at Skokloster Castle,  an absolutely wonderful 17th century caste a little bit north of Stockholm, and a few photos were taken: a shirt and skirt in brown silk noil for the spring/summer year 1 wardrobe. There is supposed to be a jacket in the same material but that isn’t finished yet and it would have been too hot to wear it even if it was.


It is very hard to take pictures in our family without at least one animal. Here is Lipton, our Shetland Sheepdog.


With the castle in the background.


The straw hat is from the late 40′s/early 50′s and I found it at Pretty Bones Jefferson.


It is a bit of a frankenpatten. The top is taken from this Vintage Vogue  pattern and I plan to make the jacket to match, the skirt is the bottom  part from a vintage 40′s dress pattern. I’m quite pleased with it and silk noil is lovely to work with and drape well. It is also cool and nice to wear in summer.


Vogue 5671 – my first #vintagepledge of five

Well hello there, it’s been nearly six months since I last posted here! Why do I remember this so precisely? Because back in February is when I shared my Vintage Sewing Pattern Pledge with you all. Heartwarmingly, well over 100 people have joined me and their inspiring progress is well-documented on my dedicated #vintagepledge Pinterest board!

Vogue 5671

As for me, I’m somewhat lagging behind on my five pledged makes, but at least I’m finally one down! I chose the rather stunning Vogue 5671 from my stash, but replaced the skirt with a fuller one from a modern pattern. I love the wiggle silhouette, but I definitely don’t feel confident enough in my shape to pull it off. I’m pretty smitten with the result though…despite the accidental 90s vibe attributed by my fabric choice!



Vogue 5671

You can see much more of my Vogue 5671 here and you can read about the pattern and its construction here. If you too need some motivation to sew up some of your vintage patterns, you have until the end of the year to join and complete the Vintage Sewing Pattern Pledge. If you’re on Twitter, make sure you stay up to date using #vintagepledge!

Trick-y pleats

rok1With this skirt, I returned to my usual draft-my-own ways. It’s a simple thing: a half circle skirt with pockets and pleats added to the front piece. Those pleats hide a little trick though: they actually form the closure of the skirt.

sluiting1I’ve explained how to make this on my blog.

rok4I really enjoy this skirt. It’s nice and wide and the stiff fabric (like denim but a plain weave instead of a twill weave) really helps show that off.