This bright orange stuff has been in my stash for over a year. It looks a lot like wool but the seller was certain it’s cotton. It did shrink like cotton when I washed it and it doesn’t smell like wool when I iron it, so I guess he was right.
For a while, I’ve wanted to make a pencil skirt from this stuff, and now I finally did. I re-worked my skirt sloper to get rid of a small fitting issue which has started to annoy me now that I’m even more critical than before.
Because this fabric is rather thick, I didn’t want to make a vent or a kick pleat. Instead, I took inspiration from my vintage skirt patterns: In the vast majority of those, the sleek pencil skirts are actually slight A-lines. Which makes sense, of course. It would help keep the skirt from riding up when you walk and it would make it fall back into place neatly when you stand up. Usually, the A-line effect is just a little bit and the skirt still gets a pleat to give it enough leg room.
In this case, I thought I had made it just wide enough to go without a pleat and yet still narrow enough to look like a pencil skirt. It turns out I could have done with a little bit more width at the hem, but I suppose that will teach me to walk like a lady
The skirt is fully lined and has patch pockets without topstitching (set in from the side seam. I made a tutorial for it) at the front.
The bolero is a very simple pattern I drafted a couple of years ago: One pattern piece, cuffs and a binding along the edge. Very quick and easy to make but I really like the look with a skirt like this.
More about it on my blog!
Hollywood 1413 is the quintessential 1940’s dress in my book. I was over the moon when I bagged a copy on ebay a few months ago. This is my first make with it using pre WWII silk crepe kimono fabric. The pattern as-is is technically 2 sizes too small but by cutting out with larger side seam allowances and counting on the generous ease in the pattern it went from the stated body measurements of 32″/27″/ 35″ to a more comfortable 36″/29″/38″ still with ease. The only other alteration I made to the pattern was shortening the back bodice length via a 3/4″ horizontal pleat below the armhole and adding in a second bust dart to make the front side seam match the new shorter back side seam… the same alteration I make on virtually every dress I make for myself since compared to most patterns I have a shorter than average back waist length and a ‘prominent bust’. Anyway the pattern went together perfectly and looked like the picture. The dress is unlined, seams are simply pinked and the neckline is finished with a facing. I did make the drape double. It was suggested as a single layer with rolled edges but the reverse of the fabric didn’t look that good. Zip and hems all hand sewn. It is a very light and fluid dress and I wear it over a slip.
Will I make this pattern again? I definitely intend to. This dress was my favorite of the trio of vintage patterns I made up from vintage kimono written about in a longer blog post.
The shoulder pads for the dress are made from 7″ circles of fabric, cotton quilt batting and stuffed with some slightly shredded poly wadding It’s how the pattern instructions suggested making them. Usually I use modern pads and cut-up/reconstruct them to suit but I though I’d try this method out and liked the results. They did make me think of making Cornish Pasties.
I had a big year of sewing, and have not been so good at updating WSR with my projects!
Here is one of my favourites from 2014. Here’s the original pattern illustration:
I made a toile of the bodice for this dress, as it is a fraction small, and I was using a rather special piece of vintage fabric.
I am so very happy with it! I love the shape of the skirt it has good body without a petticoat. You can read more about it on my blog of course.
This is a dress I made as part of my travel wardrobe last summer! I love the red poppy print.
The bodice was made from a modern pattern (Simplicity 1803, from their “Project Runway” line), but I think the dress still has a very vintage feel. I got the fabric on a trip to France a couple years ago, and used it to make a dress in time for our next trip to France!
More pics of the dress, inside and out, on my blog here.
We’ve been having this weird winter and it’s been neither freezing, nor warm, but overally gloomy. No sun in your skies? Make yourself a spring-y dress, I say!
I made this dress based on a pattern that I’d found in a fashion/sewing magazine from 1969. It was a rather straightforward shift dress and I only needed to alter the neckline which was too narrow, and to add darts in the back for better fit. Otherwise, it’s just two french darts in the front. I needed a simple pattern like this to show off the incredible print of the fabric that I used. It is a thick and stiff curtain cotton –my favorite kind! I admit to feeling very awkward in sheer and delicate fabrics, as if I could destroy them by chance. No way to destroy this sturdy box of a dress! I’m also happy with facings that I drafted by myself and bound with a bias tape. The hem is hand sewn with an invisible stitch for an elegant finish.
For the pattern, photos and more notes on sewing, please visit my blog.
A few years ago, the nicest fabric store in town was going out of business. Before they did so, they sold of all the stock at sale prices. I still have some fabrics in my stash from that sale. Such nice fabrics that I’m a bit afraid to cut into them…
But now I have finally made a dress from this lovely wool crepe.
I considered a couple of vintage patterns for it but ended up drafting my own pattern after all.
Clean lines, a 1950’s style silhouette and big pockets.
It feels very chique yet quite comfortable. I should remember to wear it and not keep it on a hanger and just look at it lovingly every time I open the wardrobe…
You can read more about it and there are more pictures and a technical drawing on my blog