Swimwear / Sunwear

Hello everybody!

Although I still want to sew summer clothes, I had to get ready for school!

Here are my school and beach clothes!!

 

 

I made me a 1940s outfit from two patterns :

Simplicity 3688 for the pair of trousers, and Advance 3047 for the blouse.

I used black synthetic and fluid fabric for the pants, and blue cotton with small designs for the blouse.

In fact this blouse is my participation to the “fall for cotton” challenge!

 

 

But summer is not so far away, so here is my high waisted swimsuit. It was made thanks to a tutorial based on a vintage swimwear.

I used marine jersey, I was afraid first as I hadn’t used lycra but it worked well :) . It was hard to sew but it turned out not so bad :) . I especially love the pleated sides of the bottom :) .

 

If you would like more infos and pictures, you’re welcome on my blog :)

Thanks for reading!

{ 10 comments }

I feel like I’ve been working on this swimsuit all summer and I’m so glad I’m finally done. (And a little sad I don’t have more time to wear it this season!)

I wanted a retro bikini and I found that in Ohhh Lulu’s Ginger Bodysuit. I didn’t change anything to the pattern, and while there are a few modifications I was too lazy to make, it turned out incredible and I love it.

I attempted to match the stripes and for the most part they’re great. There are a few bits where it just couldn’t happen and I needed to recut to make them match, but that wasn’t going to happen.

And of course, I couldn’t resist once I had my retro bikini, and I just had to do the victory rolls in my hair. I felt so glamorous. I’m pretty sure this is the only proper way to wear this swimsuit out in public.

Victory rolls + red lipstick + homemade swimsuit = instant elegance (at least in your head!)

Blogged here.

{ 9 comments }

 

I have had this pattern, which is Simplicity 1944 from 1947, in my collection for a while. My cousin just had a baby girl, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to make up this cute little sun suit. The pattern is a size 3, so it will be awhile before she grows into it, but it was so darn cute I had to give it a  whirl. I used plaid lightweight cotton, and went with a rickrack trim in fuchsia. There is a fuchsia stripe in the fabric, but it is not showing up well on camera. This is View 1, which has self made ruffles. View 2 uses purchased trim. I also contemplated using elastic in the legs, but in the end I went with the self made bias tape that is called for in the pattern. I did some quick and dirty hand bound buttonholes, which look less than great but do the job. Definitely more practice needed in that department. Unfortunately, the brim pattern piece for the matching bonnet was missing. I contemplated drafting a new one, but decided against it because I already have a giant pile of stuff in my sewing stash I need to get to, so I kept in simple with just the sun suit. Enjoy!

{ 14 comments }

Swimsuit

It's not Saint Tropez, but I like it.

I bought a two-piece swimsuit a couple of years ago, a pretty red bikini in my proper cup size from Ballet, which really only served to underline the fact that I’m more of a one-piece swimsuit person. I really am not comfortable with two-pieces, and I wanted a vintage-looking swimsuit with full rear coverage and low legs without the hassle of trying to fit my size 34 F/G bust into an actual vintage swimsuit, because come on, let’s be realistic.

So. It was clearly time to make one. I made an aborted attempt to build a very structured, fitted suit last year, in a heavy black satin with only 20% stretch or something along those lines, and quickly realized that I don’t actually want a swimsuit that I need to be hooked and zipped into. This year I went with regular old lycra swimsuit fabric instead, and since I’m lucky enough to live in a city where there’s a specialised shop for lingerie, dancewear and swimwear fabrics and notions, I got to choose between about a hundred different colours. (“And you chose the snot green? Really?”) I like green, I like chartreuse, I liked the chartreuse better than the available dark greens, and I didn’t want tropical colours or the usual suspects black, blue or red.

Cup drafting is intimidating and I’m not very happy with any of my current cup drafts, so the bust pattern is based on Mrs Depew’s 50′s French pinup bra and adapted a bit. The cups are cut from two layers of the same swimsuit fabric fused together, which does give it a lot of extra stability, and I made reinforced shoulder straps that start from the side of the cups, cross in the back and button to the top of the cups, which keeps everything neatly in place and provides a bit of support.

Swimsuit detail

Full cups and minimal cleavage, which is how I like it. You might get an idea of the stability the fused double layers of swimsuit fabric add.

For the rest of the suit I looked at an old favourite swimsuit of mine, which is sadly worn to the point where it’s coming apart, and drafted the thing with side seams only, a hint of legs and a fairly wide crotch piece. Most swimsuit bottoms and underpants fit my large behind very badly and ride up, this cut seems to do the trick; it does give the full rear coverage that I want, and then some depending on how low on the hips and thighs you make the bottom edge, it’s comfy, it doesn’t have one of those nasty center front seams, and it stays firmly in place. I love it.

The finish of the suit is not what I’d call pretty. I dislike working with knit fabrics – because I’m not good at it, frankly – and I was in a hurry. Call it a test run that turned out wearable, but not perfect. I do like the black plastic anchor buttons, and the bust got some fairly sloppy black satin piping which helps the look, too. But the important thing is that it’s actually a comfortable, serviceable and fairly well-fitting swimsuit that I don’t have to zip myself into.

 

Swimsuit, back

And the back.

 

{ 31 comments }