Skirts

Hi, I’m here again with a 1/2 circle skirt I drafted myself and a bolero that I knitted from a vintage pattern.

As circle skirts are notorious for being difficult to hem I decided to add a feature of self made black bias around the bottom edge.  I really like the way this picks out the black in the tarten fabric.

The pattern was easy enough to draft.  I used an old drafting book from the 1950′s and chalked directly onto the fabric.  I used an invisible zip on the side seam and love how the squares of the fabric are distorted.

This is a better picture of my bolero.  I needed to do some crochet around all the edges and this was my first proper attempt at crochet.  I quite enjoyed doing it even though as a knitter I found it feeling odd holding the yarn in my other hand.  Aren’t the pointy cuffs cool?!

This is the pattern I used.  I found it on Etsy from a seller called Vanessalovesvintage.

So, another new outfit!  I hope you like it too?

{ 14 comments }

What can I say about circle skirts? I love wearing them. I love making them. I love love love them!

I had my heart set on making a circle skirt from this great pink and purple fabric but alas, I didn’t have quite enough!

So it was math to the rescue and I made a 3/4 circle skirt instead. Slightly less full but no less fun! Do you like circle skirts?

More details here.

 

{ 3 comments }

Hello everyone!

I want to share this pattern with you, as I have just made it up, and really love it!

 

The pattern is printed in 1943, and features three versions of a box pleated, A-line skirt. I made version 2, which has pleats both front and back, and a side button placket. I made it up in some rather heavy corduroy in dark petrol. But I can certainly envision this pattern made up in a great variety of styles/fabrics. It would be killer in tartan!

 

For more pictures, and information about this make, you are all welcome to visit my blog.

{ 4 comments }

It’s been a while since I posted, but I promise I’ve actually been working on lots of projects. It’s just taken me forever to get anything finished and photographed. The boy makes it difficult to work on things steadily, and my project ADD doesn’t help (especially when I’ve got 6 or more projects in the works at the same time). I have finally managed, however, to get some things finished and took a few pictures to prove it this morning. The first things I want to share are the grey vest I cut out ages ago, and another pencil skirt I whipped up. (Shown first with my black blazer, just because I am already in love with this outfit!)

 

 

The vest matches the grey skirt I made a few months ago. Since I just finished up the vest last night I haven’t had a chance to see what the two pieces look like together, but I’m so happy with how it looks paired with my new plaid skirt that I almost don’t even care! The pattern I used for the vest is Butterick 9474, View A. You’ll forgive the wrinkling, as Tabitha and I are not quite the same shape/proportions (especially not post-baby, despite being back to my pre-pregnancy weight).

 

Image courtesy Vintage Patterns Wiki

 

The skirt is cut from the same pattern (with similar alterations) that I used for the grey skirt, and the fabric is a vintage Pendleton wool that I acquired in a stash from a friend’s late mother. I have a few more pieces that I’ve cut for skirts as well, as there was just enough yardage for a skirt from each one. I did have to repair a small area with moth holes near the kick pleat, so I tried my hand at re-weaving for the first time. I know exactly why the pros get paid so much! It was very tedious, and my result is hardly perfect, but it’s fairly invisible, especially to the untrained eye. I’ve got some holes to repair in two of the three other pieces as well, but they are a finer weave, so I may try a different method. We’ll see when I get there.

 

 

 

The bottom points of the vest fronts are not perfectly aligned for some reason. I marked and matched my center fronts, so theoretically they should be even, but the right sits a bit lower. If I decide it bothers me too much I can just shift the buttons up a tad to even out the points. I’ll have to take a better look at it once I’ve actually tried it on my own body with a shirt underneath and a real bra.

 

 

 

 

 

The lining, as I mentioned in my post so many moons ago, is left from another dress project that ended up gifted to a friend when it didn’t fit me perfectly. I like crazy linings and this one definitely fits the bill.

 

 

The skirt hem I finished with some vintage, rust colored hem lace from my stash.

 

As I said earlier, I’m absolutely in LOVE with this outfit! We’re going out for my husband’s birthday on this weekend and I think I may wear this (that is if I don’t decide to try and squeeze myself into my teal wool dress). I can finish it off perfectly with my stone marten stole, a black velvet hat, and my new Sydneys from Remix. Mr. S. won his fantasy football league and let me have the money to buy myself some new shoes. I’d been lusting after Sydney ever since Remix announced their release and now they’re mine! I’ll have to take a picture of them soon, but they’re in the bedroom with a sleeping man right now, and I don’t want to disturb him.

 

I’ve got a few other knitting and sewing projects in the works right now, but I’ll save those for a separate post so this one doesn’t get too long.

 

Have a good weekend!

 

-Evie

{ 7 comments }