Skirts

I made a new playsuit!

I’ve been wanting to make another playsuit in fun colors ever since last summer’s adventure, and when I saw a watermelon print fabric at Joann’s I snapped up the last few yards that were left on the bolt.

I ended up compiling four patterns to get the basic pieces:  Simplicity 4395 and Vogue 3282 for the bodice and Simplicity 3688 and Butterick 7761 for the shorts.  I also put together a simple dirndl skirt without a pattern.

I’m super pleased with how it came out… I really like the high waisted shorts, and the watermelon fabric is such fun.  I even made a little matching belt out of an old cheapy kid’s belt from Target.  It’s a little messy, but it will do for now.  I’ll definitely make the shorts again, although I may lengthen the inseam a smidgen!  I’m also thinking of making another top option out of my remaining watermelon fabric & opinions on that would be awesome.

More pictures of the play version, the dress version, and the construction details can be found on my blog!

{ 10 comments }

I participated in the Vintage Playsuit Sew-Along hosted by Stephanie over at The Girl With the Star-Spangled Heart. I’m a few days behind on the final playsuit posts because I ran into a few technical issues (first my iron died and then my skirt was too small and had to be fixed), but I finally have all four pieces finished and photographed. I’ve shown you all the patterns before, so I won’t go into much of that today; it’s pretty much be a photo post, but I will explain a little about this skirt. The pattern illustration indicates that this is a fairly full, A-line garment. Let me tell ya. It’s not. At all. The skirt actually turned out looking a whole lot more 70s than 40s. It’s a super narrow A-line, and that plus the mid-calf length really make me feel like I need to part my hair in the center, go braless, and carry a macrame bag. That being said, I do still like the skirt, it’s just not quite what I had originally planned on. The other issue, was that despite all the pattern measurements and everything checking out, the skirt was entirely too snug, causing pulling at the pockets and the button placket over my stomach, not to mention the lack of room in the waist. Not appropriate for pizza feasts, this one. I had already done a lot of the finishing and really wasn’t looking forward to taking everything apart and recutting the waistband, etc, so what I ended up doing was adding a placket extension to the underlap in order to give myself some room to shift the buttons over. That made a huge difference. I also had to shift the buttonhole placement quite a bit so that I wasn’t getting the gapping across my stomach that was happening with the original placement. Despite the issues, I’m pretty happy with the end result, and it will work well with all of my solid t-shirts/camisoles and sweaters as well. So here it is, followed by the other three pieces.

 

 

 

For more information about the patterns I used, along with a few more pictures of the garments themselves, the previous two posts about the sew-along can be found here and here.

 

-Evie

 

{ 6 comments }

Thought you lovely folks would appreciate the stack of vintage patterns I just thrifted for 10 cents each. I may have squealed in the store….

A pile of vintage treasures!

A sampling of my faves here, but check out the full blog post for all 20!

Butterick 8381 (1958)

Simplicity 5059 (1960s)

Simplicity 8656 (1969) Those collars!

Sew Lovely P500 (1970)

{ 8 comments }

Already in spring I had found this really cute parrot fabric at Alfatex and promptly had the idea to make a summery, 1950s playsuit inspired set with it (minus the shorts). The fabric is quite see-through so I decided to make a slip first and bought off-white elastical synthetic fabric (also at Alfatex). I used the slip pattern that is part of Retro Butterick B5920 as a basis but changed it quite a lot – I took the waist in and made a tiered skirt because I wanted it to be more petticoat-like. I really like the slip but I am pretty disappointed by the fabric I used, it is flimsy, get’s damaged and crinkles easily, not exactly great for a undergarment (or any garment, come to speak of it). I had even asked the  salesperson for advice because I have no experiences with elastic fabrics but I guess she had no idea either, next time I will research for myself (and there will be a next time, I’d love to make a black slip next!). I used the parrot fabric to make a skirt and a top – the skirt is a simple dirndl skirt with a zipper and the top is self-drafted. I am almost completely happy with this top pattern by now – it has enough ease to be easily put on even with a non-elastic fabrics and is still fitted enough to look nice. I used black bias-binding on the armholes and the neckline to echo the skirts black waistband and added a few black buttons just for fun. I wore this for the first time last weekend and shivered a lot – unfortunately summer is taking a break here right now :-) I really hope that the sun will reappear soon!

You can see a few more images on my blog, Draped in Cloudlets :-)

{ 7 comments }