I am super excited to show you all my latest make. It is a beach outfit made up by the Mrs. Depew 50s sun top, and shorts using the Wearing History Sailor Girl pattern. The fabric is just regular cotton fabric from the remnant bin. It is great when things just work out
To read more about the construction, my inspiration and of course; more pictures, you are all invited to visit my blog . Click the picture, or this link!
Thanks for looking, and happy sewing!
I made a new playsuit!
I’ve been wanting to make another playsuit in fun colors ever since last summer’s adventure, and when I saw a watermelon print fabric at Joann’s I snapped up the last few yards that were left on the bolt.
I ended up compiling four patterns to get the basic pieces: Simplicity 4395 and Vogue 3282 for the bodice and Simplicity 3688 and Butterick 7761 for the shorts. I also put together a simple dirndl skirt without a pattern.
I’m super pleased with how it came out… I really like the high waisted shorts, and the watermelon fabric is such fun. I even made a little matching belt out of an old cheapy kid’s belt from Target. It’s a little messy, but it will do for now. I’ll definitely make the shorts again, although I may lengthen the inseam a smidgen! I’m also thinking of making another top option out of my remaining watermelon fabric & opinions on that would be awesome.
More pictures of the play version, the dress version, and the construction details can be found on my blog!
I participated in the Vintage Playsuit Sew-Along hosted by Stephanie over at The Girl With the Star-Spangled Heart. I’m a few days behind on the final playsuit posts because I ran into a few technical issues (first my iron died and then my skirt was too small and had to be fixed), but I finally have all four pieces finished and photographed. I’ve shown you all the patterns before, so I won’t go into much of that today; it’s pretty much be a photo post, but I will explain a little about this skirt. The pattern illustration indicates that this is a fairly full, A-line garment. Let me tell ya. It’s not. At all. The skirt actually turned out looking a whole lot more 70s than 40s. It’s a super narrow A-line, and that plus the mid-calf length really make me feel like I need to part my hair in the center, go braless, and carry a macrame bag. That being said, I do still like the skirt, it’s just not quite what I had originally planned on. The other issue, was that despite all the pattern measurements and everything checking out, the skirt was entirely too snug, causing pulling at the pockets and the button placket over my stomach, not to mention the lack of room in the waist. Not appropriate for pizza feasts, this one. I had already done a lot of the finishing and really wasn’t looking forward to taking everything apart and recutting the waistband, etc, so what I ended up doing was adding a placket extension to the underlap in order to give myself some room to shift the buttons over. That made a huge difference. I also had to shift the buttonhole placement quite a bit so that I wasn’t getting the gapping across my stomach that was happening with the original placement. Despite the issues, I’m pretty happy with the end result, and it will work well with all of my solid t-shirts/camisoles and sweaters as well. So here it is, followed by the other three pieces.
For more information about the patterns I used, along with a few more pictures of the garments themselves, the previous two posts about the sew-along can be found here and here.