Pattern Drafting

Hi, I actually made this dress last December and it was my ‘Christmas dress’.  It’s made from a pattern I bought off ebay and the dark purple jersey fabric was bought to make this dress.

This is the pattern.  I made view C but with sleeves from view A.  I did lower the neck a little as it was quite high and I also had to draft a back bodice as it was missing!  I used the back facing and the front bodice and a bodice piece from another pattern to help me draft it.

I needed to make the bottom half of the dress wider to accommodate my big bum ;-)   (English pear)  My waist and hips are always 2 dress sizes larger than my bust.

I decided to make the skirt a bit A line so I could take out the split at the back.  This was simple – I just took the hem out about 2″ at each side and drew a line up to the hip on the pattern.

Don’t you think the girl in the centre has fab hair?  If only mine would do that!….

I am in love with invisible zips and have used one on this dress too.  I don’t have a ‘proper’ invisible zip foot so I just use my normal zipper foot and my finger nail to hold the zip in the right position while I sew it.

The rouleau strip really finished this dress and was great at hiding the tiny miss match with my zip and under bust seam.  So now no one knows it’s there – except you!

I decided against lining this dress but do like to have some sort of lining or slip because isn’t it awful when skirts stick to your tights?!  I thought it would be quite groovy to keep the vintage vibe going and make a full length slip.  I can also wear it with other things too.  This is what I made out of black silk which was not easy to sew on my machine….errrr!  Tension issues I think and I hate fiddling with the tension on my machine because it doesn’t seem to like it.  I worked French seams and hand finished a lot of this slip.  It has a placket on the left side seam with poppers.

 

I drafted the pattern from an Enid Gilchrist book.  I love these books!

I hope you like my dress and underslip.  Thank you for reading.

 

 

 

 

{ 8 comments }

Hello all-

So this post is not about something that I have made but about something that I plan on making! I am going to make my prom dress and I am so excited. This is a large project that I am taking on and I was wondering if any of you had advice for me! My plan is to make a 50s-esque frothy dress with a layered tulle and lace skirt. IT is going to have a satin bodice and a sweetheart neckline. Here’s an example of what I want it to look like:

I  would love any and all advice you have for me as I have only been sewing for about a year and I really want this dress to come out good!

Thanks

Rosie

{ 12 comments }

 

Hello All,

I’m new to WeSewRetro and relatively new to sewing. I thought I’d share some of the patterns I plan on making in the next few months.

There are 2 Butterick patterns and I know at least one of them is a familiar face to all of you. There are also 3 1970s Simplicity patterns. I was extremely excited to find them at my local Salvation Army Thrift Store, uncut and in pristine condition for a whopping $0.58 USD for all 3 together.

I know from reading about other’s experiences on the B4790 Walk-away dress that I’ll have to do some tailoring because it is the re-release pattern and not the original which apparently has caused some fit issues. I also know that I will probably need to grade the Simplicity 9147 from 1979 up a size, but the pattern may have enough ease where that won’t be necessary.

Have any of you sewn these patterns? Any tips for the beginner? Any suggestions for which comes first?
2 Butterick, 3 Simplicity

I apologize for the image quality, my camera has recently taken a nose-dive and I had to resort to sharing via the camera on my cellular.

 

{ 9 comments }

Hey all!

I just finished making this top which what I assume is some late 60s fabric. It has a Peter Max-ish feel to the illustration and the selvedge edge was printed with “Rosewood Fabrics Inc”. I bought it when a vintage store in Wicker Park was going out of business back in the spring and it was worth every penny as it is soooo soft!

I used patterns I had made last April for the Judy dress which was my 1st post on We Sew Retro. The dress has a tent/trapeze shape and thisis just shortened for a slight over-sized look.

I also have a few tips on sewing the placket perfectly as I did on this top (collar stand on the other hand was a very slight struggle, but I got it now). I think I’ll be making many more tops with a placket! It’s a nice little detail.

 

 

{ 3 comments }