I am a little late posting this as my birthday is in July. Every year for my birthday I try to make a dress for me to wear that day. This year I made a 1950’s inspired cutout dress. I have always wanted a cutout dress since seeing that iconic dress Marilyn Monroe wears in the film Niagara. I drafted my own pattern. The fabric I used was actually a twin sheet from Target I bought ages ago for about 5 bucks and the black buttons I already had in my stash.
Recently I’ve been on a complete lingerie sewing bender! I made a silk crepe de chine bra and was so delighted with the comfort and luxury of it that I decided to host a sew-along and make a few more.
I started with the fabric from an old pair of silk charmeuse pajama pants that hadn’t survived my restless sleeping for long, and then found a lovely black silk blouse at a thrift shop for the lining (can you tell my fabric order was woefully late in arriving?).
For the pattern, I used my 1930’s French Brassiere reproduction pattern and I couldn’t be happier with how well this bra fits!
I’m a huge fan of using historically accurate sewing and embellishment techniques so I included a few tutorials on adding spiderweb silk roses and French knots, covered truing darts, adding straps and closure options, and voila! A completely reversible silk bra!
Depending on the top I’m wearing, I can wear the bra in blue or black to suit my fashion needs and if I wear a really low-cut top (not that I have so many of those) the rosettes and French knots are a lovely little accent to peak out of my neckline.
If you would like to join in (it’s never to late and I’m always happy to answer questions!) or if you would just like to learn a few bra sewing techniques, you can find every step of the sew-along here, on my blog A Few Threads Loose.
This is a bit of an odd project: a 1950’s style jersey wrap top, made using a modern tutorial inspired by a vintage pattern illustration.
I found the tutorial here. No sloper needed. It says the design is for ‘up to’ an Australian size 12. I don’t really know what that is, probably the same as a British one… In which case I’m a little smaller. And I quite like the fit of the top. It’s the only waist length desing I’ve ever tried which stays in place when you sit down!
According to the illustration, you can also wear this top back to front. That doesn’t really work. It’s a bit uncomfortable and on me, there is extra length in the ehh closed side. That’s nice and practical when it’s at the back. At the front it just looks odd.
Anyway… As usual, you can read more about this top on my blog and if you want to make your own, follow the link above.
Hi all – I’m back!
It’s been both a busy and rough year for me so far, however now I’m back to creating on a much more regular basis.
This is my newest self-drafted retro-inspired piece. I’m totally in love with the print! I also integrated sort of a cap sleeve/capelet feel into the yoke by doing a drop shoulder technique with the patternmaking part.
As always, you can see more detail photos on the blog. I don’t want to be a hog and take up too much room! <3
The Pictorial Guide to Modern Home Dressmaking dates from 1940, and contains pages and pages of information about pattern drawing and adjusting. This was the first book I turned to when I decided to make myself two new tops for the summer. First I followed the instructions for drafting a bodice pattern, made up a toile in calico, and then had to make serious adjustments and start again.
Once I was happy with the fit I made a top in batik which I had been lucky enough to find in a charity shop.
Here is my daughter modelling the batik top for me. We are close enough in size for her to model clothes I have made for myself. The top was very easy to make – essentially it is from a basic bodice pattern, neckline and armholes adjusted for a cool summery look, with darts tapering the cut slightly to the waist, and a box pleated frill added at the bottom.
Having made this top and being satisfied with the fit and style, I then made a second version in high quality cotton.
Here is the blue version in a herringbone cotton. The cotton is a medium weight shirting with a beautiful soft feel. This blue cotton has a much more vintage look to it than the batik, and it called for dark navy buttons and a decorative ribbon to trim to give it a detailed finished effect.
These tops are lovely and cool to wear, and quick and easy to make. I hope they give plenty of inspiration for everyone who is busy revamping their summer wardrobe. For lots more information and photos of the book and the two tops, just follow the three links to the three separate posts in my blog.
Hi, this is a dress with rather fab coffee pots and tea cups on! I drafted the pattern using an Enid Gilchrist book. I lurve these books and have made a few things using them.
I decided to add a gathered skirt to the bodice because I had a large piece of fabric and only have one seam on the left side where the invisible zip is. I managed to match the pattern on this seam too so it is almost invisible too. For an extra detail I added blue ric rac to the waist seam and along the edges of the sleeves and neck edge. The sleeves are ‘grown on’ sleeves with a little gusset under the arm. This pattern appealed to me for that so that I wouldn’t cut up any of the pots and cups on the fabric.
In this photo I’m wearing a cotton cardigan I made last year from a Rowan pattern. The pattern had a peplum but I chose to start from the waist edge instead so that I could wear it with full skirts and you can still see my waist.