Pattern Drafting

I found this lovely image in one of my vintage magazines. You could order this pattern from them. Back in the summer of 1956.

I immediately wanted to make this dress, so I just had to draft my own. I wrote a separate blog post about how to make a skirt like this, in case you are interested.

Unfortunately, I didn’t have any fabric with bold black-and-white stripes so I used a very fine stripe from my stash. It’s less dramatic but it works.

I’m happy with the dress but I think I will really have to wear this one with a fluffy petticoat (I usually don’t, but this dress just doesn’t look right without it).

More story and more pictures on my blog.

{ 3 comments }

Hello All

 

With winter in the Midwest finally behind us, I’d like to make some dresses from my fabric stockpile. Of course to get me back into the swing of things, I thought I’d do the Butterick 4790.   I know full well that the re-released pattern comes with a slew of fit issues.  So I pose the question: has anyone used a zipper?

I know that it’s not conventional, but neither am I.  The re-release pattern uses a full circle skirt instead of a half circle as the original did. Wouldn’t a zipper up the front balance out the weight of the back of the dress and keep it closed for less of a flyaway mishap?

Here is an example of the full zipper.  The zipper would also eliminate the need for a button closure.  I’m picturing something like a coat zipper that comes all the way unzipped.

Image courtesy of SoulStiches Blog as mine would not load.

 

{ 9 comments }

I’ve made a new 1950′s style dress. It’s a shirtdress with a slim skirt which has pleats which form pockets at the tops.

More pictures and the whole story are on my blog

{ 2 comments }

After discovering a bit about Ulyana Sergeenko and her designs, I decided I wanted to do my own take on one of her outfits, and this is my first result!

For the top, I used a pattern envelope from the 1950s as inspiration, Simplicity 4538. I didn’t have the actual pattern, but it looked easy enough to sew the two ends together. The other seam is across the back to form the yoke, but it stops so you have room for the arms. It was easy enough and it took me about 10-20 minutes to figure everything out.

As for the skirt, I drafted my own circle skirt from 2 yards of fabric. I put in a pocket on one side and a zipper on the other.

I have more details here on my blog.

{ 2 comments }