I made a new playsuit!
I’ve been wanting to make another playsuit in fun colors ever since last summer’s adventure, and when I saw a watermelon print fabric at Joann’s I snapped up the last few yards that were left on the bolt.
I ended up compiling four patterns to get the basic pieces: Simplicity 4395 and Vogue 3282 for the bodice and Simplicity 3688 and Butterick 7761 for the shorts. I also put together a simple dirndl skirt without a pattern.
I’m super pleased with how it came out… I really like the high waisted shorts, and the watermelon fabric is such fun. I even made a little matching belt out of an old cheapy kid’s belt from Target. It’s a little messy, but it will do for now. I’ll definitely make the shorts again, although I may lengthen the inseam a smidgen! I’m also thinking of making another top option out of my remaining watermelon fabric & opinions on that would be awesome.
More pictures of the play version, the dress version, and the construction details can be found on my blog!
At the beginning of the year I set myself the goal of sewing three items of clothing that I’ve never made before – trousers, a swimsuit, and a coat. One down, two to go, as I recently made my first pair of trousers!
These were made using Simplicity 3688 which is a reproduction 1940s pattern. The pattern envelope includes both the adorable original illustrations, and photos of the finished items which (while not exactly thrilling photos) allow you to get a sense of the finished shape.
I would totally recommend these trousers to other trouser newbies. They are made from only three pattern pieces (five fabric pieces) and are a quick make (my favourite kind!). Personally I love the vintage shape with the high waist & wide leg. I used a grey polyester suiting fabric which has a nice drape which suits the wide leg & is light-weight for the summer.
I was lucky enough to get to take these photographs in the Lake District, actually at Beatrix Potter’s House and just outside. For those outside the UK who may not know it, the Lake District it is like a storybook version of England – all tiny villages, countryside, slate and stones walls. Basically it’s gorgeous.
More photos and nattering on my blog, English Girl at Home
I’ve always liked the 1940′s style trousers I saw on other blogs… Now, I’ve drafted and sewn a pair for myself. With a sailor front.
High waistline, fairly loose fit at the hip, straight wide legs. I made these in fairly thin and drapey dark blue denim and used golden yellow topstitching thread for the flat felled seams. And because of the wide shape, I could flat fell all the leg seams.
These jeans are really comfortable and I quite like the look with a top tucked in. Now, I just need to make some more blouses…
More pictures and the full story at my blog
A few weeks ago I made this white gypsy top… I had been wanting one for agessssssss and have always loved them!
I made the cropped version as it is perfect for summer and can be paired with high waist skirts, short or jeans etc.
I found the pattern at a op-shop (thrift store) for 60 cents! Next time I might add the material frill trim and possibly attach the pom-pom trimming. I am currently making the longer version of this top with red ric-rac as a gift for my friend’s birthday and it looks lovely so far!
I like that I can wear the sleeves up or down!
Here are a two ways that I styled it!
(Lemon/Lime skirt is by Tara Starlet)
I also made these shorts with a 1940s pattern and paired them with my gypsy top at the beach! I bought the pattern as a PDF file on esty…
It seems like not all of the directions for the shorts were properly scanned and were missing so it made it a bit tricky… I have made quite a few pairs of shorts though with a 1960s pattern so I did understand the construction of shorts and just went with the flow. The fit is not perfect (A little loose, but I don’t mind that on a hot summers day, they still fit and look quite nice). Next time I will work on the fit around the waist and probably sew an attachment belt onto the shorts instead of just folding them over, I could then add a button above the zip to improve the fit even more.
I was lucky to score 6 of the Butterick Retro reproduction patterns today at the sewing store, 3 patterns for $10! I can’t wait to get started on them!
See the full Lemon/lime gypsy post here and the beach post here!
Kayla – Gracefullyvintage