Modern Patterns

Hello All

 

With winter in the Midwest finally behind us, I’d like to make some dresses from my fabric stockpile. Of course to get me back into the swing of things, I thought I’d do the Butterick 4790.   I know full well that the re-released pattern comes with a slew of fit issues.  So I pose the question: has anyone used a zipper?

I know that it’s not conventional, but neither am I.  The re-release pattern uses a full circle skirt instead of a half circle as the original did. Wouldn’t a zipper up the front balance out the weight of the back of the dress and keep it closed for less of a flyaway mishap?

Here is an example of the full zipper.  The zipper would also eliminate the need for a button closure.  I’m picturing something like a coat zipper that comes all the way unzipped.

Image courtesy of SoulStiches Blog as mine would not load.

 

{ 9 comments }

Ok, ok, so I don’t think I could really pull off being a pin up girl

…but I do have a dress COVERED in them, which just HAS to be the next best thing!

pin up girl vintage dress at made with hugs and kisses

I created this 50′s inspired dress as part of the Sew Dolly Clackett Sewlong that has gotten the sewing community in a frenzy – everyone seems to be involved, which is fantastic!

Now I have been known to dabble with bedding as a source of material, and I couldn’t let this duvet set go. The back was a simple polka dot and the front was layered with these pin up beauties:

pin up dress fabric

I used the bodice from New Look pattern 6776, view D, and added a simple gathered rectangle skirt. This wasn’t on the list of Rosin approved patterns, but I think it should be. Anyway, I felt myself drawn to this one and at the end of the day, the fabric is the one in charge and I find that it tells me what to do.

My pin-up girls chose this pattern and I had to oblige!

 simplicity 6776simplicity 6776 drawing

I think that the line drawing highlights the potential of this pattern much more than the pattern cover.

I would have loved to add a circle skirt but this would have had a negative impact on the pattern of the fabric, and I wanted to pattern match the ladies so they were continuous.  The rectangle skirt still works well with my big net underskirt – and that is what matters.

I really like the contrasting tie (also from bedding and a perfect colour match – I was very lucky with this creation!) but I can’t decide whether to tie it at the front or the back?!

pin up girl dress by made with hugs and kisses

Here is me trying to do the statement pin-up leg flick, but failing horribly and almost falling over!

For more about this dress, including lots of pictures click HERE

Happy Vintage Sewing

Hannah from Made With Hugs and Kisses

{ 5 comments }

About a year ago I rediscovered sewing as a hobby and made a blouse after Burda’s retro 1950s  pattern Nr. 7255 and shortly after that another one because I was so enthusiastic about it. Unfortunately I was much less happy with my second version - the cheap polyester fabric that I used had small blemishes and made the blouse look like a blouson because of it’s drape. I hid it away in my closet and only found it again a few weeks ago – and noticed that it is not that bad at all. I would of course change a few things if I would make it again – the bust dart is a bit too high and the collar not perfectly set in, also I would take in some of the excess fabric at the waist and back (why all Burda patterns that are designed for fabrics without stretch are way to big is beyond me…). But apart from that the blouse is pretty cute and absolutely wearable in the nice spring weather that we have here.

A few more pictures are on my blog, Draped in Cloudlets!

{ 3 comments }

Hi guys!

 

I fell in love with this pattern as soon as I clapped eyes on it! I finally got round to sewing it last night, im still deciding on buttons (it’s always a big decision for me) so it’s not completely finished yet.

I had to do quite a bit of adjusting on the pattern because im pretty short. I chose a torquoise and black houndstooth and a plain black trim. Theres a godet in the back centre seam, which I also did in the houndstooth.

Anyway heres a quick photo and I’ll post one of me wearing the dress once I’ve put the buttons on. Im really pleased with how it turned out :)

 

 

 

{ 7 comments }