Mens

I promise this is my last post about my prom dress. Here’s the first post and the second post.

We had prom two days ago and I had a blast! I’m so glad with how my dress and overall look came out. I had so many people compliment my dress, both people who knew I made it and people who didn’t! My date, Alex, wore a bowtie that I made for him and I will admit that his bowtie did not look as good as the other bowtie I made for a friend.

This is me and my dorm parent/volleyball coach/directed study advisor. She helped me through all this and supported me the whole way.

 

 

This is me and Alex, quite the power couple, right?

He doesn’t know how to tie a bow tie so I helped.

This is Evan’s bow tie. He wanted a Boston Bruins bow tie and I told him as long as he bought the fabric I would be thrilled to make one for him.

 

This is all the girls on my lacrosse team who went to prom. This is a good full length picture of my dress.

{ 1 comment }

Hello everyone!

I would like to present you the latest big work I am working on : a 1950s suit jacket! It is based on a vintage british jacket I bought on ebay :

I only made the muslin for now, modified the pattern and chose the fabrics! I also read a lot about the traditional interlining and structure of a suit. Now I can’t wait to start sewing it! :)

If any of you have any advices for me for this kind of work, I would be very happy to read them!! :)

If you want to see more about this project, come and visit my blog :)

Thanks for reading!!

 

{ 4 comments }

McCall’s 7456 & Simplicity 6693, from the 1980s & 1970s, have been getting lots of use at my place…ever since I saw the guitar gods in Cracker, both wearing Western shirts at a concert & thinking, “Hey, the Roommate should be able to dress like a guitar god, even if he doesn’t play guitar!”  A request from a friend for a similar shirt, led to me making 2 shirts, because I couldn’t resist doing one for his little boy, too.  The yoke/cuff/placket contrast for both is from some fabric I got on our trip to West Africa, so it’s authentic wax print.  I’m running out of that, though, so used some regular cotton for the main part of the boy’s shirt, and some Marimekko from Crate & Barrel Outlet for the main part of the men’s shirt.  Find out more on my blog, Bella Industries, Inc. 

 

{ 0 comments }

Unlike most of my vintage-inspired sewing projects, this one isn’t from a self drafted pattern, but made from a late ’50s – early ´60s sport shirt pattern that mysteriously existed among my sewing patterns. The fabric is from a Scandinavian fabric store chain called Stoff&Stil and with such lovely ’50s style rocket ships I just had to have it. Lots of it, it has this far been turned into bed hangings and a wrap dress for my daughter Maja, a dress for me and this shirt. It’s not much left, but it will be turned into a pair of shorts for my eldest daughter. Photos of these things are, or will be when they’re finished, over in my blog.

 

 

 

{ 0 comments }