Lingerie

This week I have been working on a gift for my friend’s lingerie party: a 1960′s babydoll style nightgown!  Because what girl doesn’t need one of these in her lingerie chest??? ;)  (I know I do–might be making on for myself next!)

You might notice some pulling on the yoke–I need to give it a final press still, which hopefully will eliminate most of that.  I also still need to hem it.  I really LOVE how it has turned out so far, though!

You can read more about this project and see more detailed pics at my new blog, The Vintage Home Sewist!

Bessie

{ 9 comments }

 

Hi everyone! This is my first post here. I wanted to share with you all what I made for the Sew for Victory Sew Along hosted by Rochelle at Lucky Lucille. I decided on Simplicity 2486 from 1948 to make this great dress:

Simplicity 2486

I tweaked it a bit to fit me and I just love it to bits! I made it from some unknown blend that feels like a crepe and is semi sheer. Because of that see-through issue, combined with the fact I’m a bit of an overachiever, I also made a slip to wear under it in some stretch cotton poplin I had yards and yards of. I used Advance 6333 from 1953 and changed it to make it into what I wanted.

Advance 6333

I am so proud of myself. It’s my first completed sew along ever! You can read more about it on my blog.

{ 3 comments }

Advance 5876

This little 1950s gem was in an eBay lot I purchased last summer.  It has the name of the owner (Barbara Gilliam – Homeroom 111) written on every piece – the envelope, instructions, and every single pattern piece.  She even did the hard work for me and identified each piece (front, back, etc.)!  This pattern was probably her school project.  My store-bought scottie dog pajamas, worn nightly for 5 years, bit the dust the same week Joann’s had a sale on flannel AND a 20% off coupon.  I took it as a sign to get to work making these up and chose a kitty fabric as a contrast to my previously worn dogs.

I cut View 2.  I didn’t have to make any major alterations to the pattern, but I did lengthen the pants by about an inch, and extended the wrist cuff by an inch so it wouldn’t cut off the circulation to my hand.  It took about 2 days of sewing to complete, but only because I did french seams, turned and stitched seams, and bound the armhole and uh-hum…[crotch] seam with bias tape.

Armhole showing all three seam finishes

I know, the bias tape doesn’t match!  I had this self-made tape left over from another project and didn’t feel like making matching tape for a part of this garment that only I will see.  Besides, waste not, want not!

Pocket

 

Pocket detail

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The pattern has two front pockets.

Finished Pajamas

These are perfect for the frigid winter nights, and I’m hoping they will last me even longer than the store-bought ones did!

{ 3 comments }

I’ve been quiet on here for a while. One reason is that I’ve been super busy, but the other is that I’ve been working on Edwardian undergarments for more Downton Abbey type sewing this year!

My 19teens corset! I made it from a pattern that the blogger Festive Attyre made from an antique corset that she thinks is from 1916 or so. This is my first real corset that I made with coutil and steel boning.

I also made a 19teens early brassier from a pattern made by blogger Historically Dressed from an antique brassier and 1913 combinations made from a reprint of an antique pattern.

I adore my combinations! They are super fun to wear!

I’m already working on a 1914 dress but in the meantime you can see more of my Edwardian sewing here: Dressing Downton Projects, brassier and combinations, corset.

{ 6 comments }