Kids

 

I have had this pattern, which is Simplicity 1944 from 1947, in my collection for a while. My cousin just had a baby girl, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to make up this cute little sun suit. The pattern is a size 3, so it will be awhile before she grows into it, but it was so darn cute I had to give it a  whirl. I used plaid lightweight cotton, and went with a rickrack trim in fuchsia. There is a fuchsia stripe in the fabric, but it is not showing up well on camera. This is View 1, which has self made ruffles. View 2 uses purchased trim. I also contemplated using elastic in the legs, but in the end I went with the self made bias tape that is called for in the pattern. I did some quick and dirty hand bound buttonholes, which look less than great but do the job. Definitely more practice needed in that department. Unfortunately, the brim pattern piece for the matching bonnet was missing. I contemplated drafting a new one, but decided against it because I already have a giant pile of stuff in my sewing stash I need to get to, so I kept in simple with just the sun suit. Enjoy!

{ 14 comments }

A friend cleaned out their old family home and gifted me with the patterns she found.  This is the oldest, note no markings on the patterns.  From a day when everyone sewed and knew what to do!  : )

The good stuff on the back…

I like this pattern because of the wider shorts like legs.  More comfy for chubby baby thighs.  The back needed elastic and the straps were long, so I made them adjustable.  Here it is part way done being modeled for adjustments.  I sewed up the sides for this, to make sure it was OK before adding snaps and that gave me the idea to make a second one without snaps.

And the finished sunsuit…

And the second sample…

What do you think?  Snaps or no snaps?

{ 17 comments }

I named this past year’s Christmas dresses after the Johnny Cash song because they’re frankenpatterned from three vintage patterns each.  The collar and cuffs are done with Victorian fagoting stitching, the pinafores are thirties for the bigger one and forties for the smaller one, the bodice and skirts and collars are fifties dresses, and the sleeves are late sixties-early seventies.

 

 

The red and white ribbons are bias cut, hand-dyed silk and a sort of a nod to candy canes.  :) I also inserted entredeux into both the bodices and the pinafore skirts and the dresses underneath have beading lace on both the skirts and bodices.  Gracie requested a Christmas dress that wasn’t “itchy” and didn’t have puffed sleeves and had a twirly skirt, so this was my answer.

 

 

Once again, I used CRIN in the hem, and had a crinoline to go underneath to make the skirt nice and full.  I learned that you need to use a size 70 needle because the 80s and 90s can lead to hitting parts of the CRIN and runs in it.

 

 

The pinafore or as Gracie calls it the “fancy apron dress” is made so that with a slip, it can be worn as a separate dress when the weather gets warmer.  It’s hemline is also finished with CRIN.    I made matching bows from silk satin ribbon, which I really don’t recommend because they were so limp!  (Plain old polyester grosgrain has much more body and stiffness!)

 

Grace claimed that she’d rather wear baby sister Nicole’s dress because it was cuter!  (And here I thought I’d gone to great lengths to make them matching dresses!)  I’m afraid I don’t have pictures of the girls wearing them because all of the more affordable portrait studios have moved out of town, so we gave Sears a try and only came out with one portrait, which was a Christmas present to Mommy and Daddy.

 

The fabric is red with gold stars, but aside from the color, it’s a non-Christmas Christmas print.  I’m hoping they’ll get more wear out of them that way.

 

Nikki’s bow is on a headband because she’s rocking the baby mullet right now and doesn’t have enough hair in front to hold a bow yet.  I’m starting to look for vintage boy patterns now, ’cause they’re getting a baby brother, but since I know it’ll be a year to 18 months before he’ll fit into toddler 6 months patterns, I’m just not in a hurry!  More on this project on my blog, Granny Lane Sewing.

{ 3 comments }

Hello all! I’ve got two projects to share with you. One was a last minute Christmas gift for my 4 year old cutie. I made both dresses – girl and doll – in a single day, it was right before the kids got out for Christmas break so I had to hustle! The girl dress is a vintage Simplicity, probably from the early 1960s, and I used a modern reprint for Bitty Baby’s matching frock. Fabric is Lecien ‘Flower Sugar,’ one of my all time favorites.

Both dresses came together really fast, and for once, my evil buttonholer made 4 good buttonholes in a row without skipping or jamming! It’s a Christmas miracle!

It’s hard to get a 4-year-old to hold still to get a decent picture, but here she is on Christmas morning!

Once I was done with all my Sewing For Others, I decided to make something for myself. (Gasp!) One of the best ways to ease the post-Christmas letdown is with a novelty print shirtwaist.

I was trying out a new pattern – Simplicity 5745 from 1964 – and while it came together nicely, it was huge in the bodice. Maybe I really am a B36 and not a B38… that would be nice. Still, it’s a fun dress and pairs nicely with a crinoline and pearls.

{ 10 comments }