Kids

Hello Vintage Friends,

While I’ve been a faithful reader for the last year I didn’t get to sew very many vintage patterns. This is something I’m determined to change in 2014! I started with a January birthday and broke out an adorable 1940 McCall pattern. It was the perfect project to ease me back into the vintage sewing world.

I was worried it would be too short on her but it ended up fitting perfectly. All the construction details and the happy recipient can been seen on my blog. Happy Sewing Everyone!

{ 10 comments }

I got my Fall for Cotton Sew Along blouse finished for my daughter. Probably should’ve ironed it before posting here, but ah well, you know how it is. My daughter likes it though, and I can’t wait to sew the other versions of this pattern, maybe in solids this time, lol.

Check out my blog here for more.

{ 0 comments }

It may seem mental to be making baby clothes before I’ve even given birth, but these last few weeks might be my last chance to get any sewing done for a long time!

Dress Pattern:
If memory serves, I bought this vintage Style 1106 pattern (published 1975, Size 1) from the awesome Snooper’s Paradise in Brighton not long after we moved here a few years ago. How frustrating must it have been trying to sew for children before multi-sized sewing patterns became the norm? Such a small window of opportunity for each pattern to be of any use to you! This is actually the second time I’ve used this myself, the first being for my friend’s daughter Surayya that I made in Africa wax fabric. When I made that first version I wouldn’t have guessed that the second time I’d use it would be for my own little Missy! I also recently leant this pattern to my friend Kate so she could rustle up a birthday present for a mate of her’s daughter, thus getting more use from this than it possibly ever got from its original owner!

Dress Pattern changes:

Kate and I both came to the conclusion that the neck opening seemed a little tight, so we both made that a little wider on our respective versions. I also added a couple of cms to the length, plus only used 3cms of the suggested 5.7cms (!) hem allowance to make it a bit longer. What is up with those crazy-short hems on kiddie dresses of the 1950′s/60′s/70′s?! I’m hoping that our little girl will be able to wear it for a longer period of time if the length is a bit more generous. Kate and I also decided to opt for small poppers to fasten the top back opening instead of buttons because we’d narrowed the neck yoke and creating button holes would have been a bit of a faff on the new reduced dimension.

Also, I created a slightly different sleeve shape pattern for this version. I wanted something less frilly or puffy than most of the sleeved versions included in this pattern already so that this dress can be worn with a cardigan over the top (seeing as this outfit should be coming into use next Autumn/Winter).

Nappy Cover/Pants Pattern:

The matching nappy cover pants are made using Newlook 6818 pattern. I changed the pattern slightly to make them look less ‘bloomer-esque’. It’s not a vintage pattern and I haven’t used vintage fabric, but I think the style of the pants and the floral fabric have a sufficient retro vibe to justify their inclusion on this blog, I hope you agree! I’m not sure how seasonally appropriate they will be for when this outfit comes into use, it’s possible that wooly tights might be in order at that point, but who can say?! Making these nappy covers is so quick and so much fun, and I’m sure she’ll get some use from these ones even if it isn’t with the dress.

These nappy cover/pants are sooo quick and fun to make. I really hope they turn out to be useful because I could happily sew them again and again. Here’s another version I made from the pattern from a small piece of vintage linen that’s been in my stash for over a year:

I’m no expert but I think this fabric might be from the early 1950′s. The print is so pretty:

{ 6 comments }

If I could I would dress my boy in vintage baby clothing all the time! There is something unique in vintage pieces or vintage inspired pieces and I love to incorporate vintage style in outfits that I make for my son. Here is a summer romper that I created back in July.

The bodice is fully lined (another thing I enjoy about sewing clothes myself) and I ended up adding piping that wasn’t called for in the original pattern. Oh, and yes that is a vintage bike as well!

If you would like to see more pictures please head over to my blog!

{ 4 comments }