Kids

bodice of child's dress

 

This is the bodice of the dress that I have made for my three year old god-daughter.  In real life the dress is finished apart from a tiny bit of hand stitching to neaten off a few details on the inside.  However in blogland it is still a work in progress because I have been showing the construction step by step to demonstrate the dressmaking techniques I use. Because I only use straight stitch machines – hand machines and treadles – zigzagging and overlocking is a mystery to me.  I didn’t know what an overlocker looked like until I watched the Great British Sewing Bee recently, and I had been reading American blogs for ages before I worked out that sergers were what we call overlockers.

bound armhole seam

Today I have put a post on my blog, lavishly illustrated with 18 photos, showing how I do bound armhole seams.  Previous posts include photos of how I have drafted the pattern piece for the collar and done the felled seams.

 

I hope my posts are helpful to keen retro fans.  There is still a way to go before I have posted all the stages of construction.

{ 1 comment }

I’ve sewn up two versions of 1940s Simplicity 4635 maternity dress, and I am in love with them. Ruffles, pockets, a shaped neckline on one, and supposedly a dress to wear during and after pregnancy. It doesn’t get any better than that.

To see more check out my blog here and here.

{ 4 comments }

I sewed up an Easter dress of my daughter’s choosing from 1940s Simplicity 1573 pattern for girls in size 6. I modified it slightly, but it’s mostly true to the pattern. It’s also another projects for Sew for Victory 2.0, and I’m hoping I’ll have more projects completed before the deadline.

While the fabric pattern is completely modern, the idea is definitely vintage and 1940s.

Read and see more about it on my blog.

{ 1 comment }

These are some matching Easter shirts I made for my boys. Both are made from vintage 40s/50s patterns and will work for my Sew For Victory entries. (I’m hoping to sew up some more 40s patterns before the April 30th deadline.)

They were so easy to sew up and I already have plans for a few more shirts for them.

See more on my blog.

{ 0 comments }