Jumpers / Pinafores

I’ve been very eager to write this post! This costume took about a month of planning and a week of sewing. However, the dress itself took 2 1/2 days to complete.

As mentioned in my previous post on my blog, I also made another dress for my friend during the time frame as mine. It got a bit hectic and stressful, there were a couples nights around 1 in the morning when I questioned myself “Am I actually going to finish everything on time?” Well, I made it!!! I will be posting about the dresses separately. But you will get a bit of a preview of what the other dress looks like!

The pattern I used was Simplicity’s 3828 from 1960 and the pop tart fabric is by Benartex 100% cotton. I also used vintage lace from my stash.

This is the outcome.

For more pictures and info on the rest of my costume, you can check that here.

-Allie

{ 4 comments }

 

Hi, this is me in a jumper dress I made recently using Simplicity 6555 from 1966.

I really like the shaping on the front bodice.  I needed to move the bust darts down slightly on my muslin.  Glad I made one!  I only made a bodice muslin and only half of one at that.  But it was enough to check for fit.  The fabric looks a bit shiny thanks to my camera flash.  In real life it isn’t so shiny.

 

The back is quite simple but I’m pleased with the fit.  I used an invisible zip as I prefer the clean line they give.

This is my copy of the pattern.  The envelope is a little ‘dog eared’ but the pattern itself is OK.

I made a different belt to on the pattern.  I used the instructions on ‘Jennifer Lauren Vintage’ Bow belt tutorial.  I think it finishes off this dress perfectly.  It makes it a bit cute but not too cute!

I’d like to make this dress again but for summer.  I may play around with the bodice pieces as it could be interesting… using stripes maybe?

 

 

 

{ 6 comments }

After many cold, winter days of just dreaming about this project…

I finally awoke to success!

I paired McCalls 3730 and a wool stadium blanket to sew up a fabulously warm and comfy jumper.  The pattern worked up easily with no major alterations.  I was smart enough to leave enough ease through the waistline so that I can actually breath and bend and eat.  And I even have enough blanket left over to make a matching bolero.  More pics on my blog.  Stay warm, Everyone!

{ 5 comments }

I’m still plowing on with my attempt to have a completely wearable 1940s wardrobe – either by buying or making the outfits I want need.

And the latest gap to be filled – a 1940′s jumper dress!

1940s jumper dress pattern

The pattern is Mail Order 2082, and I (hesitantly) used the sweetheart neckline version, with heart patch pockets.

mail order 2082 sewing pattern 1940s jumper dress

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I was a bit unsure about the almost ‘twee’ detailing – I like feminine clothes but this is really femme! Heart pockets?

I think using navy gaberdine, a tough tailored fabric with this girlish pattern was a good match and the style is balanced in the middle.

Surprisingly, the pattern fitted really well with minimal adjustments. Normally I’ll have to fiddle with the armhole depth, waist height, dart placement – but not this time. Minimal amount of mods, listed on my blog.

bakelite 1940s

Sorry for the cat hair! I had to wrestle with my kitty before this photo...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The blouse is Smooth Sailing from Wearing History (my favourite shirt pattern), made from deco-print quilters cotton with vintage celluloid buttons.

One more photo because I’m so happy with how this has turned out!

{ 16 comments }