There’s no such thing as too much ric-rac!
When Abby from BlueGingerDoll showed me her latest skirt design I knew straightaway it would be right up my alley. To me, it feels like a casual late-1940′s skirt, but it could be styled for a 1950s or 1960s look quite easily.
The fit is really flattering, flared enough to be comfortable but not so flared that it will fly up in a stiff breeze. I love the popped pockets, and chose the plain waist band.
This polka-dotted quilter’s cotton has been waiting for the right project for a year, and I trimmed the skirt with ric-rac around the pockets and waist band.
The only problem I encountered was not having an amazing blouse to wear with my new skirt! It was time to try out Mail Order 4820 (from the late 50s I believe).
The western feel of the blouse pattern seemed the perfect fit for the Peggy skirt (with mandatory ric-rac trim again). I was suprised at how much ease was built into the blouse pattern (it doesnt show on the envelope) but at least it mean’t I didnt have to grade up a size.
Does anyone find it hard to find the perfect blouse to wear with 1950′s circle skirts? I think this is the winner for me – light for summer, and good for dancing.
As always, more details are on my blog - and the Peggy Skirt is available on Blue Ginger Doll’s website here.
I’m back with another, vintage dress remake! I have an obsession for rick rack, and fell in love with this blue dress covered in rick rack, that was posted on the Coletterie blog. I knew that I had to make my own, and finished it just in time for my first anniversary!
I used 35 yards of rick rack to cover this simple princess seamed bodice and semi- circle skirt. I marked the pattern and then the dress, with lines 2″ apart and then sewed rick rack over the lines. I think it’s pretty close to the orignal!
To read the whole story head over to my blog: Erika Made It
I posted a while back about a 1950s style patio skirt I made and I finally got around to making the matching blouse to go with it!
I used Butterick 7328 for the blouse and added ric rac trim to match the skirt.
I did a circle of red, then gold, the red again ric rac around the blouse following the line of the yoke. I also added some red ric rac to the collar. I wish I had had some of the black trim from the skirt leftover, but it was vintage and I only had enough to go around the skirt twice.
Overall, I’m very happy with the project! I never need an excuse to wear ridiculous amounts of ric rac!
More photos and construction details over on the blog!