I posted once, years ago but have recently found the motivation to post some finished garments. I finished a Diploma in Fashion Technology last year and am now studying costume which is very exciting! I make my own patterns unless I state otherwise and every now and then I delve into my collection of vintage patterns. I’ve been very busy sewing the past few months and here are some of my more retro/vintage garments.
Pink Seersucker Dress
Day of the Dead Crop Top with Black Full Skirt (Alexander Henry Fabric)
A-line Lobster Dress with Matching Belt
Blue Floral Border Print Dress with my 1964 VW Beetle
Senorita Dress (Alexander Henry Fabric) with my 1964 VW Beetle
I’m slowly working towards my wardrobe being a majority of handmade or second hand clothes. I post my sewing and op shop finds on my Instagram: “sharpscissors” http://instagram.com/sharpscissors and would love to see other fellow retro sewers and vintage lovers there!
I’m new to WeSewRetro and relatively new to sewing. I thought I’d share some of the patterns I plan on making in the next few months.
There are 2 Butterick patterns and I know at least one of them is a familiar face to all of you. There are also 3 1970s Simplicity patterns. I was extremely excited to find them at my local Salvation Army Thrift Store, uncut and in pristine condition for a whopping $0.58 USD for all 3 together.
I know from reading about other’s experiences on the B4790 Walk-away dress that I’ll have to do some tailoring because it is the re-release pattern and not the original which apparently has caused some fit issues. I also know that I will probably need to grade the Simplicity 9147 from 1979 up a size, but the pattern may have enough ease where that won’t be necessary.
Have any of you sewn these patterns? Any tips for the beginner? Any suggestions for which comes first?
I apologize for the image quality, my camera has recently taken a nose-dive and I had to resort to sharing via the camera on my cellular.
Hello, everybody! I am new here and have been really wanting to join earlier but never took photographs of my pieces. This dress is Retro Butterick 6307 that I think is out of print now. I made it a while ago, and it was my first set-in sleeve. I used regular medium weight cotton. Everything was pretty easy, and of course I had to take it in a bit. I would definitely reccomend this to anyone. I have under it a crinoline I also made using Edelweiss’s crinoline tutorial here: http://www.edelweisspatterns.com/blog/?p=850 (sorry, I have not yet figured out how to make a regular link!). It was really easy despite my mistakes and the crinoline fabric getting jammed in my machine all the time.
I apologize for the bad pictures, I don’t know how to get good ones yet.
I am currently working on a peplum shirt from 1951, and will be done with it shortly in order to post it here! Thanks for looking!
Hello vintage lovers,
This is my first post here on We Sew Retro. I have been a big fan of this blog for a while now, and have just finally gotten the motivation to start posting some of the items I have made.
I have wanted a super simplistic 1950′s style skirt for fall for a while now. I knew exactly what pattern I wanted to use, which was this Simplicity 4083 from 1952.
I found 3 yards of an amazing lime green heavy weight linen at an estate sale, I knew right away that I wanted to use it with this pattern. I decided to make view 3, with the waistband on view 1. The pattern called for 3 and a half yards of fabric, so I shortened the skirt by about 6 inches and was able to make up this skirt with only 3 yards.
This skirt was a breeze to sew up. I will definitely be using this pattern again. I love how the lapped zipper in the back of this skirt turned out.
Overall I am super pleased with this skirt, it is a perfect fit and makes me feel super confident!