Yay, dress muslin #2 from this project is finished!
Here is a photo of the original, which shows how important fabric choice is: (source here)
Dress #2 is a wrap dress with the front bodice on the bias, skirt is made of three layers. Layer 1 is a very wide heavily gathered rectangle, Layer 2 is another gathered but narrower and longer rectangle is on top, and Layer 3 are two bubble poofs, each made of 3 gathered pieces of fabric. The top of the bodice back, front, and neck strap have fabric roses attached to them.
This dress didn’t fit me initially (tears!) but I added 3 inches to the CB as well as 5 inches to the bodice front – WHEW! Then it fit, but barely as you can see. Not a bra friendly dress.
It has great swish factor because of the 2 back poofs, but the dress really becomes something else once you discover that you can put your arms through the poofs and turn them into sleeves. Magic! Probably unintentional, but a fun discovery nonetheless.
The roses were created by a Vionnet Rose Pattern from the Center for Pattern Design:
If you’re interested, I’ve more photos and construction information on my sewing blog here: http://cathywu.com/journal/kalali/2014/06/17/vionnet-dress-pattern-2-1917-wrapped-with-roses/ I also made an animated gif of how to wear it, which I tried to post here but didn’t work.
This year was my husband and my 5th wedding anniversary and we decided to do a vintage vow renewal ceremony on the beach!
I decided to make myself a vintage wedding dress! I decided on this late 40s pattern:
Especially after I found it’s vintage doppelganger!
As you can see, my version of white cotton lawn turned out quite like the original!
It was such a wonderful event! I was so bummed that I got married before I discovered vintage so this was my do over dress.
I shared a ridiculous number of photos from the day over on my blog. General vow renewal shots are here and my dress diary is here.
This year I participated in MeMadeMay for the first time. Since 80%-90% of my wardrobe is already me-made I could be said to participate year-round anyway, but now that I have a blog I wanted to do so more officially. However, MMM is supposed to be a challenge and just wearing me-mades everyday would be a cheat for me, so I gave myself the challenge of wearing clothes made with Indie Patterns at least once per week and sewing only with Indie patterns throughout the month. This means that none of the patterns used to make the dresses I’m posting today are vintage, but it turned out that a few were made from vintage fabric! Also, the Indie patterns I gravitate towards tend to have a vintage vibe to them.
All three that I’m posting here were made with Colette’s Macaron pattern, but modified to greater and lesser degrees.
This first one was made with one of my favourite cotton fabric sources – a vintage bedsheet!
The little green buttons are also vintage – oh – and so is the purse!
This second dress is basically a copy of the one above only with a somewhat less full skirt (fullness ends up depending on the width of the fabric as I’m lazy and just use selvedge to selvedge rectangles).
The print fabric is a piece of vintage cotton I scored at the Textile Museum of Canada’s annual “More than a Yard Sale” fundraiser last year. I’d had the solid cotton sateen for ages already and what a lucky co-incidence that they matched so perfectly! Incidentally, the green buttons are the same ones as on the dress above; I had 6 of them, they worked a treat for both dresses, and that meant no odd numbers left over!
The third one is the most modified and I even gave it a name: The Mod-Maca-Thorn. It’s inspired by a design I saw on Modcloth + a modification of the Macaron bodice + the skirt pattern pieces from Colette’s Hawthorn pattern.
And it’s another vintage bedsheet!
If you’re interested, you can see more pictures and more of my Me-Made-May’14 makes on my blog here, here and here