Dresses

 

Whoa! I know I just posted yesterday about finishing a dress but the past week has been a very productive one for me and I was able to complete a project that I had gotten half-way through and just wasn’t able to finish at the time! This dress is made out of a wonderful blue cotton from Vintage Vogue V8875 :) This was my first time working with a Vintage Vogue repro pattern and while it presented some interesting challenges and techniques I hadn’t tried before I must say I am pleased with the result!                                                    

  

I also wanted to share a few vintage treasures that I recently acquired! A close friends grandmother passed away and she was left with boxes of old sewing things like patterns, notions, and fabric. When she asked if there was anything I would like since she wanted to see it go to someone who would get use out of it I of course said yes! I came home with boxes of stuff and I thought you’d like to see some of it :) Feel free to swing by my blog frillz24.blogspot.com for more pictures and details!

{ 2 comments }

So I finally got around to making a wearable muslin of my “Ladies 1958 Party Dress” by Sense & Sensibility Patterns! I highly recommend this pattern to any newbie or experienced sewer! It was a dream to work with and very easy to alter. The full gathered skirt, and kimono-sleeved bodice are just wonderful! So comfortable and versatile this is the kind of pattern you can make either as fancy or as casual as you’d like it to be!

 

For my wearable muslin I used this great peach linen-blend fabric that I picked up at Hancock Fabrics on sale for 3.00 a yard! For the belt I just used some mint cotton broadcloth and fusible interfacing with some snaps on the back :) Find more details on my blog http://frillz24.blogspot.com/

 

 

 

 

{ 1 comment }

These past few weeks, I had two lead styling gigs where I had to wear white. I don’t have very much white in my closet, so I had to go out and buy something for one of the gigs.

In between the two events, I decided to clean out one of my closets where my UFO’s (Unfinished Object) are stashed. I stumbled across this white dress that I started here. Yes that’s right, it’s been sitting unfinished since Spring 2011. The dress is fully lined and the only finishing needed was the hem. I then remembered that because the dress was lined it fit snug and wouldn’t go over my hips. I was desperately needing a white dress so I thought why not? I tried it on and it fit fine. I suppose I must have lost weight since then, which is never a bad thing (;

Unfortunately, I didn’t get around to him the dress until after the last event.

I wore the dress yesterday, but I feel like it’s one of those dresses I’m going to wear once or twice a year. I just don’t like white on me.

For more pictures & how I styled this dress, you can check that on my blog here.

-Allie

{ 4 comments }

Hi, this is a dress with rather fab coffee pots and tea cups on!  I drafted the pattern using an Enid Gilchrist book.  I lurve these books and have made a few things using them.

I decided to add a gathered skirt to the bodice because I had a large piece of fabric and only have one seam on the left side where the invisible zip is.  I managed to match the pattern on this seam too so it is almost invisible too.  For an extra detail I added blue ric rac to the waist seam and along the edges of the sleeves and neck edge.  The sleeves are ‘grown on’ sleeves with a little gusset under the arm.  This pattern appealed to me for that so that I wouldn’t cut up any of the pots and cups on the fabric.

In this photo I’m wearing a cotton cardigan I made last year from a Rowan pattern.  The pattern had a peplum but I chose to start from the waist edge instead so that I could wear it with full skirts and you can still see my waist.

 

 

 

{ 12 comments }