Dresses

For my high school graduation, I made my dress from Vogue S-4727, a vintage pattern from 1956. It may look familiar – I posted my wearable muslin for this dress here back in March!

I used turquoise silk dupioni, which wasn’t as challenging to sew with as I expected! The pattern itself was far more challenging than working with the fabric was. I underlined parts of it with silk organza to reinforce the seams, and it had underarm gussets and a very awkward zipper insertion. I spent a lot of time hand basting!

I ended up putting in an invisible zipper, which I would usually avoid, but the lapped one on my wearable muslin didn’t look very good because of the way the zipper curves into the godet. Because I don’t trust invisible zippers, I put in a waist stay to support it. I hemmed the skirt by hand with horsehair braid, which I love!  I wore it with two crinolines (a bigger, itchier one with a subtler, softer one underneath), both of which were vintage from my aunt. She wore one of them to her high school graduation in 1960!

My shoes are vintage that I bought at a thrift store. I love them! They’re all leather, made in Italy, and have a really gorgeous cutout detail on them. I borrowed the purse from my mom, and the pearl earrings and necklace once belonged to my grandma. I did my own makeup, although I didn’t do much. I did a bit of a cat-eye and wore some super subtle false eyelashes and my favourite lipstick.

My hairdresser did my hair and nails – hair is one thing that I can’t do myself! I loved my hairdo, so it was worth it to get it done (although it was quite a challenge to get my dress over my head without wrecking it!).

It was such a fun day, and I was so happy with my dress! For more construction details and photos, check out my blog post!

If you want to read about other steps in sewing this dress, I wrote posts on choosing a pattern, my two muslins, and my wearable muslin.

Thanks for reading!

{ 17 comments }

Hi all – I’m back!

It’s been both a busy and rough year for me so far, however now I’m back to creating on a much more regular basis.

This is my newest self-drafted retro-inspired piece. I’m totally in love with the print! I also integrated sort of a cap sleeve/capelet feel into the yoke by doing a drop shoulder technique with the patternmaking part.

I was also really excited that the Ford Galaxie was there in my neighborhood. Someone who lives there must own it since it’s always parked on the same street.

As always, you can see more detail photos on the blog. I don’t want to be a hog and take up too much room! <3

{ 3 comments }

Vintage sofa’s (!) thick fabric bought in yard sales

I print the pattern n°107 Burda Style to make my dress

 

{ 0 comments }

Sorry for posting so soon again but the weather is so horrible here right now that there is plenty time for sewing pretty dresses (-: In an effort to forgot the dreadful storms that we had here I sewed another „I wish it was summer“ dress.  I used Buttericks B5509 pattern from the Making History series as a basis. I had already bought it months ago as I love all options of this set and would like to sew all of them (albeit as dresses and not as aprons as they are meant to be). I got the flower fabric at Alfatex and decided to use it for pattern D, a cute empire-waist dress. The fabric is very transparent and therefore I lined the whole dress in white fabric. I guess I still should not stand directly in the sun but as the we don’t have much sun right now that doesn’t matter much… The fit of the dress is pretty perfect and it is cleverly constructed, I just had to think about how to transform an apron into a dress. It was actually super simple – I just closed the back seam and sewed a zipper on. The bodice is open on the back and is tied with a ribbon, which feels very airy and summery. Empire-waist dresses always remind me a bit of maternity fashion and also the finished dress looked a bit too plain for me and so I bought green pseudo-velour ribbon to counteract this and to make the dress a bit more graphical. I also gathered the hem on the front and back side and added a bows – and I am so happy with the finished silhouette!

You can find a few more pictures on my blog, Draped in Cloudlets (-:

{ 2 comments }