Culottes / Pantskirts

 

Hello All,

I’m new to WeSewRetro and relatively new to sewing. I thought I’d share some of the patterns I plan on making in the next few months.

There are 2 Butterick patterns and I know at least one of them is a familiar face to all of you. There are also 3 1970s Simplicity patterns. I was extremely excited to find them at my local Salvation Army Thrift Store, uncut and in pristine condition for a whopping $0.58 USD for all 3 together.

I know from reading about other’s experiences on the B4790 Walk-away dress that I’ll have to do some tailoring because it is the re-release pattern and not the original which apparently has caused some fit issues. I also know that I will probably need to grade the Simplicity 9147 from 1979 up a size, but the pattern may have enough ease where that won’t be necessary.

Have any of you sewn these patterns? Any tips for the beginner? Any suggestions for which comes first?
2 Butterick, 3 Simplicity

I apologize for the image quality, my camera has recently taken a nose-dive and I had to resort to sharing via the camera on my cellular.

 

{ 9 comments }

Hello!

This is my first post here on WeSewRetro. I have read this blog for months and love the projects presented here, now I finally decided to join the party :-)

The project I want to show to you comes from a 1942 issue of “Frau und Mode” (= Wife and Fashion), a Swiss magazine. It was given as a supplement with another Magazine and contains mainly knitting patterns or pictures of dresses, for which you could order paper patterns, so unfortunately there are only very few sewing patterns in it.

This set consists of a culotte and a cape. I only made the former because I couldn’t think of any occation to wear this cape. The cut parts to enlarge and the instructions (in german) can be found on my blog.

I went for a coarse linen istead of the waterproof fabric the pattern suggested, planning to wear it in the summer and not as a cycling-outfit for rainy days, though that’s what it was designed for (the Headline says “For our female cyclists”).

I love the vertical seam originating at the belt, making a step to form the pocket and going all the way down to the hem. It is better to see in the drawing than in the photos.

The pleats only open in the bottom half, as you can see in the photo. It’s a little weird, because the crotch seam and the seam closing the pleat form kind of a triangle, which is a little difficult to press, but doesn’t show when worn.

From the side it really looks like a skirt:

I hope you like it, you will find more photos on my blog, see you soon, love

ette

{ 12 comments }

 

Summer is the perfect time for shorts and these shorts are so fun! (Yes, they are shorts!). I used Wearing History’s Rita pleated shorts pattern.

 

They are crazy fun to wear and I’m so wishing that I’d made them earlier in the summer!

 

 

The pattern is based off of late 30s/early 40s pleated shorts. They look awesome with 40s styling like a fun peasant blouse and cute wedges. Construction details and a pattern review are available on my blog. You can snag your own copy of this pattern here.

{ 6 comments }

Hi all,  I thought I would  show you how a little project I was given by a friend turned out…

1940s button front swing trousers copied from an old pair (not sure how original they were !)

but made up in corderoy, not my favorite fabric, but she was so pleased with them she wants a second pair…:)

I lined every seam inside with cream satin bias tape. this is a little thicker than the lovely rayon tape you guys can get in the States,

( I have just managed to get a couple of reels from Etsy.com ..yey) but it worked well , I think :)

We chose vintage buttons for the fastenings…and all in all I was very pleased with them…and i have a pattern

now if any one is interested and is a 30″ waist and 5’5″ tall …

 

 

 

 

 

 

{ 5 comments }