This project took what felt like forever and were in fact three years. In autumn and early winter I never had time to finish it and after christmas motivation was gone because I so longed for spring.
It was one of the first vintage pattern I ever bought and I had no experience in sewing with these at all. This led to a number of mistakes and a wrong sizing, most of them clearly visible in the final coat, at least to me.
Fabric is a felted cotton, the lining matches the colour of the burgundy bias binding accentuating the front seams. Pattern is a 40ies Beyer-Pattern, the coat is meant to be a “traditional style”-coat and with it came patterns for different dresses, blouses and skirts, all in “dirndl”-style.
An enumeration of all the things that went wrong as well as more photos can be found on my blog www.parvasedapta.ch.
Thank you very much for reading, love
I made our little niece a vintage tweed coat using a 1930s Pictorial Review pattern:
Pictorial Review 6128
In true 1930s spirit, all the materials were re-purposed or came from my stash. We had some purple Woolrich tweed and black lining, and I cut the pocket flaps from an old pair of leather gloves. The buttons are vintage Civil Defence buttons from wartime Britain.
This was an experiment in both coat-making and tailoring for me. The pattern instructions said to pad stitch only the undercollar, and because the coat is a size 1 there could only be so much hand sewing. I love working with wool and heavy fabrics, so the project was a lot of fun, especially the pockets and lapels.
Here are some photos of the finished coat:
1930s child's coat - front view
1930s child's coat - back view
Here’s a closeup of the front buttons. I also tried out some handworked keyhole buttonholes:
Civil Defence buttons
For more details and tailoring progress pics see my blog post.
Hi everyone! I haven’t posted on here in a couple of months, but for good reason. I’ve been busy working on a WWII-era coat. I’m talking knee-length, heavy weight, filly-lined and warm coat. I am thrilled with how it turned out…from the lovely shoulder dart detailing, to the added on welt pockets. It was constructed from a vintage nylon felt fabric, faux fur, and lined with a salmon satin heavy lining.
I am not going to lie, this is my first coat project and I did experience some difficulty (mainly space-wise) in putting it together. It took me over a month to complete, due to hand attaching the lining and whatnot, but it was totally worth it. I will definitely use this pattern again in the (probably quite distant) future!
Please feel free to head over to my blog, to read more about this adventure and see more pictures! Thanks for reading!