Children

A friend cleaned out their old family home and gifted me with the patterns she found.  This is the oldest, note no markings on the patterns.  From a day when everyone sewed and knew what to do!  : )

The good stuff on the back…

I like this pattern because of the wider shorts like legs.  More comfy for chubby baby thighs.  The back needed elastic and the straps were long, so I made them adjustable.  Here it is part way done being modeled for adjustments.  I sewed up the sides for this, to make sure it was OK before adding snaps and that gave me the idea to make a second one without snaps.

And the finished sunsuit…

And the second sample…

What do you think?  Snaps or no snaps?

{ 17 comments }

I’m in the midst of making my Pride and Prejudice and Zombies costume, but as much as I’m enjoying it, there is a whole lot of cream going on with the dress.  I decided to whip up a colourful little dress for my friend’s wee girl.

If you have read my previous posts, you’ll know that I was lucky enough to receive a box of 68 vintage patterns for my birthday from a friend’s mum.  This little dress is the first pattern used from that amazing gift.

Butterick 4246 with the pink linen found in the envelope.

I used this Butterick 4246, View B – Sleeveless A-line dress with large bow detail in back.  When I opened up the envelope, I found the pink linen and a pink zipper tucked inside.  I was told by the gifter, that her family member remembers the pink dress!

Gum drop quilting cotton from my stash.

I found just enough of this quilting cotton to make the dress in my stash.  I love how colourful and cheerful this fabric is.  I like to use quilting fabrics for kids clothes.  They usually hold up pretty good to wash and wear and they’re easy to work with.

I’m addicted to using Hug Snug – even in kids clothes.  If I had just over-locked the seams, the dress would have been whipped up in an afternoon, BUT as I said – I’m addicted.

Here are pictures of the finished product:

Simple front.

Back of dress with the sublime bow.

Finished seams with Hug Snug.

Now, back to the zombie dress with me!

{ 19 comments }

I had wanted to work this little Crinoline Miss embroidery from one of my 1930s needlework books & thought this pretty green linen (from a set of vintage napkins) was the perfect background.

I then decided to make a pair of 1930s style baby shoes & adapted a pattern for a pair of quilted shoes from another vintage needlework book - I embroidered little floral sprays in the same colours as the Crinoline Miss on the toes, lined the shoes in pink quilting cotton & buttonholed round the top edges.

Finally, I used the linen scraps along with some other offcuts from my fabric stash to make a new outfit for a little vintage wooden doll who was looking rather too shabby and not at all chic.  I cut her clothes apart, pressed them flat & photocopied them to make patterns for her new outfit.  I was particularly pleased with the jaunty little green linen jacket!

{ 7 comments }

{ 3 comments }