Blouses

Simplicity 2522

by June on May 11, 2014 · 1 comment

in 1950s,Blouses,Shirts

I chose this pattern to enter the garment on the PatternReview “Vintage” challenge.  It’s a 1958 pattern for blouses with bateau necklines.  I actually love the look of the blouse, but it has some fit issues that weren’t obvious with the muslin and I really wish I had caught before I cut the fashion fabric.  That said, I am smitten with the little bows on the trim and I did get compliments on the blouse when I wore it today.  For more blurb, please visit my blog.

 

 

{ 1 comment }

In my attempt to keep up with recent goals of making things for myself and also using my vintage pattern stash, I chose this 1965 blouse pattern – View 4:

1965 Simplicity 5885

This was my first button backed top pattern. I like the idea, but honestly I’m not sure why this was so popular, as doing it up yourself is a little challenging – and that’s without wearing a girdle as most likely you would be in this era. I cannot imagine having to do up more than 4 buttons this way without a ladies’ maid.

Modified Simplicity 5885 (1965)

Modified Simplicity 5885 (1965) Back view.

The collar was of course very high and tight, so I lowered it in the front to make it more comfortable. I also took in the side seams a little to give the blouse some shape. It’s actually a pretty boxy design – ok if paired with a nipped waist skirt, but I wanted to be able to wear it untucked as well. The nice thing about making up new garments from vintage patterns is that I don’t feel guilty when making alterations! The nearly finished version of this blouse was relegated to the UFO pile for months awaiting a solution to the excessive ease issue that did not involve completely re-making it. See the ‘before’ pics on the original post here.

 

Simplicity 5885 Modified centre front with pin tucks.

Simplicity 5885 with a skirt.

In the end, I ended up having to remove the collar tabs and most of the neckline facing. I took about an inch out of the centre front by way of pin tucks, which also help give it a nicer line. I also extended the back shoulder darts down to the waist to help pull it in a bit more. It’s still a little on the boxy side, and if I make it again I’ll be sure to grade the whole thing down from the start. It does improve the look to wear it with a skirt or high waist pants. In the meantime, I’m planning to try out some other quick tops for summer from the vintage pattern stash.

~Heather

{ 14 comments }

Hello 1980′s!

by Inkdork on April 23, 2014 · 4 comments

in 1980s,Blouses,Skirts

So, on the 3rd, my boyfriend and I are going to an 80′s themed party and while I have a few things that might work in my closet, I wanted to really, really look the part. I had a skirt pattern I thought would be good, and I had big plans for coordinating my skirt and blouse, but I ended up going a completely different direction.

My blouse is from a 1986 Kwik Sew 1262 View A pattern, which I did in the worst fabric I have ever worked with in my life. Gold lame’. You so much as look at it, and it ravels strings of tinsel all over the floor. My sewing room looks like Christmas blew through it after making this blouse. I can die happy if I never have to use this fabric again and wish I would have gone the liquid lame’ fabric instead.  Aside from that, I did like the pattern, but would make it in a moderate knit next time. The sizing was a bit off- supposedly this was supposed to fit up to a 45″ bust, and I measure 42″ and you can see its pretty tight through there. Ignore the icky face I’m making- it’s super bright and sunny today and I was half blinded so not looking up.

The skirt pattern is View A from McCall 5184 from 2006, but without the flounce added to the bottom, and with an extra 2.5″ added to the length. I made this skirt up in another fabric as printed without the flounce and it was a micro-mini. A little too short for my tastes. Cute, but no. I’m 33 years old… lol. I made the skirt out of white satin, fully lining it as the fabric was a bit thin.

I stitched the zipper in first in a yellow thread, then once it was how I wanted it, used white thread and picked out the yellow. I’m really happy with how the zipper turned out, and even though its white and I’ve no idea where I’ll ever wear it again, I quite like the skirt.

I spent about $15 total on fabrics, the skirt pattern I bought years ago at Joann’s, and the blouse pattern I bought in a small lot, and it probably costs me about $2. Either way, I have the perfect outfit for the party, for under $25. I’m still undecided on shoes, but will be crimping my hair for the night and playing with crazy make-up. I make jewelry so will be making earrings and maybe a necklace, probably out of super bright polymer clay.

Anyway, that’s my share for today! I dont have this one up on my blog yet, but you’re welcome to pop by anyway! Deb’s In Stitches!

{ 4 comments }

About a year ago I rediscovered sewing as a hobby and made a blouse after Burda’s retro 1950s  pattern Nr. 7255 and shortly after that another one because I was so enthusiastic about it. Unfortunately I was much less happy with my second version - the cheap polyester fabric that I used had small blemishes and made the blouse look like a blouson because of it’s drape. I hid it away in my closet and only found it again a few weeks ago – and noticed that it is not that bad at all. I would of course change a few things if I would make it again – the bust dart is a bit too high and the collar not perfectly set in, also I would take in some of the excess fabric at the waist and back (why all Burda patterns that are designed for fabrics without stretch are way to big is beyond me…). But apart from that the blouse is pretty cute and absolutely wearable in the nice spring weather that we have here.

A few more pictures are on my blog, Draped in Cloudlets!

{ 3 comments }