Aprons

Sorry for posting so soon again but the weather is so horrible here right now that there is plenty time for sewing pretty dresses (-: In an effort to forgot the dreadful storms that we had here I sewed another „I wish it was summer“ dress.  I used Buttericks B5509 pattern from the Making History series as a basis. I had already bought it months ago as I love all options of this set and would like to sew all of them (albeit as dresses and not as aprons as they are meant to be). I got the flower fabric at Alfatex and decided to use it for pattern D, a cute empire-waist dress. The fabric is very transparent and therefore I lined the whole dress in white fabric. I guess I still should not stand directly in the sun but as the we don’t have much sun right now that doesn’t matter much… The fit of the dress is pretty perfect and it is cleverly constructed, I just had to think about how to transform an apron into a dress. It was actually super simple – I just closed the back seam and sewed a zipper on. The bodice is open on the back and is tied with a ribbon, which feels very airy and summery. Empire-waist dresses always remind me a bit of maternity fashion and also the finished dress looked a bit too plain for me and so I bought green pseudo-velour ribbon to counteract this and to make the dress a bit more graphical. I also gathered the hem on the front and back side and added a bows – and I am so happy with the finished silhouette!

You can find a few more pictures on my blog, Draped in Cloudlets (-:

{ 2 comments }

Hi there,

This is my first time posting here, I credit this site with my wanting to blog as I learn to sew Vintage inspired clothing.

I am relatively new to sewing clothing, but I have been sewing and crafting for as long as I can remember, really.  And I am totally hooked on crafting things that I can wear!

My friend is a plus-sized pin up model and I offered her some wears in exchange for pictures at her next shoot. The results are below; a seafoam high waist bikini and a floral, sweatheart neck apron. I tackled four new skills this time;

  • Drafting a pattern
  • sewing with stretch items
  • sewing for someone else and
  • making swimwear

A few hiccups were had, but in all I am pretty happy. If you like, you can see the full story at my blog redhotrosie.wordpress.com

I love the cut on the bottom

cute little apron

{ 2 comments }

So as I love sewing wartime items, I made these and I am finishing one more now. My nan used to wear these all the time and so do I now when I am cleaning or for my reenactment’s. They are from an original 40′s pattern and made in all cotton, look so great with my turban’s. Now I am going to make myself a 50′s summer dress. Pic’s when I am done.

{ 12 comments }

Hi Everyone.

Thought I would post up the apron that I made for my latest blog post. I’ve started a monthly inspiration challenge, this month was a Vintage T.Limoges Teacup and Saucer – and this was my contribution ! :)

The fabric is very pretty and is printed to look like embroidery, even close up. In fact, I loved the print so much, it was hard to cut into it, for fear of losing some of the pattern. Used as much of it as I could. The gold trim was to add a bit a bit of decadence – just like the Cup and Saucer !

If you’d like to see more of what we made – head over to my blog www.lucylovesya.com – hope to see you there.

Keep up the good work here ! I love your creations and have a nose at them regularly :)

{ 0 comments }