1950s | Applique | Skirts

London Calling circle skirt

By on October 24, 2011

Hello everyone! I’ve just joined sew retro and I thought I’d share my newly-completed circle skirt which I made for Casey’s sew along.

I made it with Simplicity 4752 from 1954, in a heavyweight, felt-like wool fabric (I guess a coating?), and embellished it with a retro telephone applique I designed myself.

Full details and more photos are on my blog, and I’ve also posted the template to download.

xx Charlotte of Tuppence Ha’penny Vintage

Continue Reading

Applique

Mod Arrow Dress Project: Simplicity 8682 from 1969

By on July 31, 2011


I used Simplicity 8682 from 1969 to make this green polyester dress. I significantly hemmed it, tailored it, and added white felt applique arrow designs. I also used white ribbon trim at the bottom of the dress.


I like the pop art effect created by using applique to apply everyday objects and symbols to dresses and skirts. I did have some snafus (unfortunately, quite a few) that you can also read about on my blog Sew Sixties.

Happy sewing!
Astrid

Continue Reading

Applique

Mod Mini Skirt Project: Green & White Arrow Pop Art Skirt (APPLIQUE)

By on June 22, 2011


Well, I did another arrow applique skirt; this time a green corduroy skirt with white felt applique. I messed with the proportions and decided to do a smaller arrow applique and a simpler design. Now I’m wondering if I should have gone more complicated?

You can read more about this project and see more pictures on my blog Sew Sixties.

Happy sewing!
Astrid

Continue Reading

Applique

Rainy Day Skirt

By on June 10, 2011

I seem to be on a roll with sewing up skirts lately; but with summer here I just can’t help myself.
Umbrella Squared

I finished my first applique project early this week, and have been waiting for the weather to cooperate so I could take it out for a spin. The pattern I used is a 50’s 1/2 circle skirt from Simplicity 4532, but instead of the tulip applique I decided to make up my own rainy-day/umbrella themed skirt.

I lucked out and bought my pattern on etsy with the original transfer included for the tulips. So I’ll definitely have to make another one in the future like the cover illustration.

For the construction, I interfaced the waistband with both a light weight iron-on interfacing to the shell as well as horsehair canvas on the inside facing, for extra stability. I used a horsehair braid on the hem for the full 50’s full skirted look and lined it with a coordinating red bemberg. I have white cotton piping at the top and bottom of the waistband (a first for me).

Umbrella Skirt

For the applique, I did all of the umbrella pieces by hand, but machine-satin stitched the raindrops on after basting them all in place.
Applique Close-up
If you’d like read more about this project and see more pictures of the construction you can find more posts at zilredloh.com.

Thanks guys and hope you all have a lovely weekend!

Continue Reading