1970s

Vintage raincoat

by Handmade Jane on February 7, 2014 · 6 comments

in 1970s,Coats

 

This is a raincoat I made using a vintage Simplicity pattern (5928) from 1973.

The pattern isn’t specifically for a raincoat – it’s for a tailored coat – but I liked the shape so much I adapted it for my purposes. The coat has some lovely features such as princess seams and in-seam pockets, and has a great flounce about it because of the exaggerated A-line shape.

I shortened it by 4 inches (I’m short and wanted it to be knee length) and had to change the sleeves from two piece to one piece as I just couldn’t get them to set in properly. I used a coated navy waterproof fabric for the main coat and a red floral vintage satin for the lining. It did take me a while to finish it and there were a few hiccups along the way, but the results are worth it – I love it and I’m sure this will be getting a LOT of wear in the rainy UK! More construction details and photos can be found on my blog - Handmade Jane. x


{ 6 comments }

 

This post is about a muslin I have made for a vintage blouse.  The pattern came from ebay. And I think the ladies look rather stylish, don’t you?!

I’ve made my muslin from a rather thin old sheet, as I wanted to test the fit and style before cutting into good fabric.

I think the sleeves are rather snazzy – a real statement.  They remind me of the Tilly and the Buttons Matilde blouse that is everwhere in the sewing blogosphere (can’t see how to do a link on here, but it’s easy to find).

The exposed zip is another key feature that I feel marks the make out as retro.  I really like it (it’s only my second zip so I’m rather proud of it).

It’s rather snug; I’m thinking if I do make this in good fabric I will maybe add a bit of width on either side.  Would you continue on to make the finished item?

{ 9 comments }

 

Hello All,

I’m new to WeSewRetro and relatively new to sewing. I thought I’d share some of the patterns I plan on making in the next few months.

There are 2 Butterick patterns and I know at least one of them is a familiar face to all of you. There are also 3 1970s Simplicity patterns. I was extremely excited to find them at my local Salvation Army Thrift Store, uncut and in pristine condition for a whopping $0.58 USD for all 3 together.

I know from reading about other’s experiences on the B4790 Walk-away dress that I’ll have to do some tailoring because it is the re-release pattern and not the original which apparently has caused some fit issues. I also know that I will probably need to grade the Simplicity 9147 from 1979 up a size, but the pattern may have enough ease where that won’t be necessary.

Have any of you sewn these patterns? Any tips for the beginner? Any suggestions for which comes first?
2 Butterick, 3 Simplicity

I apologize for the image quality, my camera has recently taken a nose-dive and I had to resort to sharing via the camera on my cellular.

 

{ 9 comments }

Hey all!

I just finished making this top which what I assume is some late 60s fabric. It has a Peter Max-ish feel to the illustration and the selvedge edge was printed with “Rosewood Fabrics Inc”. I bought it when a vintage store in Wicker Park was going out of business back in the spring and it was worth every penny as it is soooo soft!

I used patterns I had made last April for the Judy dress which was my 1st post on We Sew Retro. The dress has a tent/trapeze shape and thisis just shortened for a slight over-sized look.

I also have a few tips on sewing the placket perfectly as I did on this top (collar stand on the other hand was a very slight struggle, but I got it now). I think I’ll be making many more tops with a placket! It’s a nice little detail.

 

 

{ 3 comments }