1970s

I won this pattern a little while ago in a competition run by the lovely Stacey Stitch, and wanted to make the jumpsuit as soon as I saw it:

 

I used a poly cotton gaberdine  and came up with this version:

 

I made a few adjustments, specifically adding a waist seam with elastic, and slanted pockets at the front. To see some more details head over to my blog,  NicoleNeedles.

 

 

 

{ 3 comments }

Another dance party, another excuse to make myself something the week of the event…

Made for another edition of the ‘I Wanna Dance With Somebody‘  (all divas- all night) dance parties organized and DJ-ed by a fabulous local DJ duo.

I wanted to evoke a classic look with dramatic sleeves. The end result is heavily influenced by late 60s early 70s mini dresses, and is actually 2 separate pieces that can be otherwise worn with different outfits.

The Diva Dress 2014 by HLB

The underdress is made from some lovely stretch suiting similar to fabric I’ve used before. I love the fact that it has nice structure and weight but also a good amount of give – perfect for figure hugging garments that you can move in! Frankenpatterned fitted LBD.

For the chiffon overlay I used this 1970 blouse pattern as a starting point – extending the hem, exaggerating the sleeve blousing, negating the bust dart, and lowering the neckline to a shallow scoop shape.

Simplicity 8494 (1970)

To give the waist definition, I added ties at each side that form a bow at the back. I wanted initially to have the overlay drape more, but it proved unflattering on my curves.

The Diva Dress 2014 by HLB. Back View.

I love that it was long sleeved but still pretty cool. The sheer sleeves let my arms breathe, I was pretty comfy all night and they were super fun to dance with.

More pics and details in the full post here.

p.s. Another blog post coming soon documenting my themed dance party ensembles!

~ Heather

{ 6 comments }

So a few nights ago I was on Instagram scrolling through Me-Made-May photos and I saw this really awesome feather-print 70s vintage dress by Cation Designs and then she was saying that Tanit-Isis got her hooked on 1970s dresses and then I was thinking “hey, I have a kinda similar 1970s vintage dress pattern in my stash” and so then I found it and I grabbed some stash fabric and I cut it and I made it and… here it is.

AND it fits! So score. VINTAGE IMPULSE SEWING WIN.

The basics

Pattern: Vintage Simplicity 7575, from 1976, a topstitched raglan-sleeved V-neck knit dress with slightly gathered skirt and attached belt to create underbust shaping. (I actually got my copy from We Sew Retro—but you should be able to find one on eBay or Etsy fairly easily).

Fabric: Two yards of a wonderful soft medium-weight purple rayon or cotton spandex blend knit with amazing stretch, drape and recovery (and maybe a BIT too much cling). It’s been in my stash since before 2010 and my notes say I bought it at “NY Fabrics” but I can’t remember where or what that store is in the Garment District.

Notions: Just thread and some fusible webbing tape for taming the belt and facings.

Size: 12 (it’s a one-size pattern). The body measurements for this size were about 3-4 inches smaller than mine, but I trusted the power of spandex and negative ease, and made no adjustments except a 1″ FBA. The dress actually has quite a bit of ease, as it’s the belt that gives it a fitted look.

Inspiration: This dress totally makes me think of my amazing mom Beryl, who was a total 70s girl and loves to sew knit dresses. Here she is with my dad and her parents (both in ensembles sewn by my grandmother) at her wedding in 1973:

It also reminded me of the last vintage 1970s pattern I sewed back when I was super pregnant, which also had a similar attached belt thing going on.

Full details and lots more photos on my blog post.

{ 4 comments }

Maxi dresses are always comfortable, but I like them best as maternity wear. I made a really fun 1970s version that will be perfect for this summer.

Check it out on my blog.

{ 0 comments }