1970s

Vintage sofa’s (!) thick fabric bought in yard sales

I print the pattern n°107 Burda Style to make my dress

 

{ 0 comments }

I have been wanting to make a pair of 1970′s black velvet hot pants for a while, so I decided to have a go at this Mary Quant pattern and see what these looked like made up.

I used a remnant of 1980′s furnishing fabric to do the mock up from – I thought that the weight of the fabric would work better than making it from calico. Once I got it to this stage,  they looked cute (in a non-Quant kind of way), so  I thought ‘what the heck’ and decided to finish them properly.

 

The blouse on the pattern illustration was made in broderie, so I used another remnant (in a dirty beige colour) from stash to make it up – and found some awesome vintage buttons that seemed to be in keeping with the whole dandy feel.

The result, complete with some trashy coloured pearl necklaces and bracelets from a local op-shop, was interesting, but wearable.

 

And I have yet to make up the black velvet hot pants.

{ 9 comments }

Thought you lovely folks would appreciate the stack of vintage patterns I just thrifted for 10 cents each. I may have squealed in the store….

A pile of vintage treasures!

A sampling of my faves here, but check out the full blog post for all 20!

Butterick 8381 (1958)

Simplicity 5059 (1960s)

Simplicity 8656 (1969) Those collars!

Sew Lovely P500 (1970)

{ 8 comments }

So I was browsing ModCloth the other day with my (a-hem) 13-year-old daughter and I came across the Twirl Next Door Dress.

Well, that looks familiar. I KNOW I have seen those keyholes on a vintage pattern. So I searched my Etsy page which took a while because I had all decades of patterns in one section of my shop (which resulted in hours of rearranging my shop, now much easier to browse!) Eventually I went through the sold items and was able to find it! Totally worth all that effort.

Check out my blog to see the early 70s pattern!

{ 3 comments }