1960s

From Mad Men to Mary Quant…

Starting with a really cute Simplicity pattern from 1968 and using the McQueen/David Bowie Jacket as a bit of Union Jack inspiration

First I played around with the pattern  schematic and a Union Jack on the computer and ended up with a placement that I didn’t think looked too bad (although it was a bit tough going over the curved seam at the centre back….

Because the dress was fully lined, I mostly patchworked the shapes on to the outer fabric. (The pattern had originally been cut out with a shortened hem, so I thought I might just use the previous owner’s length – just to see how short they anticipated wearing it) I used a stiff 100% cotton fabric with a linen weave.

After that it was just a walk in the park to get the dress together using the same white cotton fabric as lining.

 

 

{ 12 comments }

Big Cat Dress

by Rosith on July 6, 2014 · 1 comment

in 1960s,Dresses

I made a dress using a B5748 which is a retro reprinted dress I believe from 1960. This dress is gorgeous and when I found this fabric with lions, tigers, and leopards, I knew it was a match! I made a cross between view A and B as I kept a plain front bodice but put a bow on the back. It calls for a fully lined bodice and skirt but after learning in September that fully lined skirts get VERY heavy( I made B5882 for convocation) I decided to only line the bodice. I cut the size that I usually am but after constructing it, it was huge so I had to take it in a considerable amount. The pictures show it without a petticoat because the only petticoat I have is the one I wore to prom and it was HUGE(here’s the link to that post).

                      

 

{ 1 comment }

Thought you lovely folks would appreciate the stack of vintage patterns I just thrifted for 10 cents each. I may have squealed in the store….

A pile of vintage treasures!

A sampling of my faves here, but check out the full blog post for all 20!

Butterick 8381 (1958)

Simplicity 5059 (1960s)

Simplicity 8656 (1969) Those collars!

Sew Lovely P500 (1970)

{ 8 comments }

Another finished project to share with you today. This the dress I made for my birthday last month. I call this my “Violets are Blue and Purple Birthday Dress.”

The dress was made from two different vintage patterns. The bodice from McCall’s 8949 (1950s) and the skirt from McCall’s 5812 (1960s).

The fabric came from my mom’s sewing stash. It had some light staining, probably from storage, which mostly came out in the wash. The marks were difficult to cut around but are not all that noticeable on the finished dress. I also had a limited amount of fabric so matching the print was a bit of a challenge. Overall I’m very happy with it and really enjoyed having something fun and pretty to wear for my birthday. :)

{ 4 comments }