1950s

 

This is my second post on We Sew Retro. My first posting was way back in December and I plan to post more often. I used two 1950s patterns: one for a Simplicity circle skirt and the other for a Simplicity blouse with a bow. The circle skirt has a petticoat underneath to make it more fluffy. I made the circle skirt brown with white rickrack on the waistband, as I feel it would be more versatile to wear during all of the seasons. If I left it just plain brown, it would look only best for fall. I usually try to make clothing I can wear for more than just a season per year. The bow blouse is also something I can wear for all seasons. In the winter, I will wear a vintage cardigan with it. Both patterns were relatively easy and I didn’t have any issues with them. The circle skirt did take a long time to hem, as I hem clothing by hand.

{ 4 comments }

A Little Bird Told Me

by Joni on June 21, 2014 · 5 comments

in 1950s,Dresses

I’ve done coordinating dresses for my daughters before, but never outright matching. Browsing vintage patterns online I came across McCall’s 4346 (copyright 1957, the same year my mother was born), and knew that I had to do it for both of my girls. It took a little while to find usable copies in sizes 6 and 12 – these were supposed to be Easter dresses (don’t judge me) – but I finally pulled it off.

I was considering making both of their dresses in solid blue with a red bow just like the blondie on the pattern envelope there. But once I laid eyes on this Michael Miller print,  I couldn’t stop picturing my girlies in it. I mean, come on! It’s birds hanging dishes on a clothesline!

Other than my buttonholer’s continued refusal to cooperate, these dresses came together amazingly fast. I love how the simple lines work with an obnoxious novelty print (I’m already thinking about Christmas dresses). And here are my girlies all decked out with their new crinoline petticoats and big smiles!

{ 5 comments }

 

Whoa! I know I just posted yesterday about finishing a dress but the past week has been a very productive one for me and I was able to complete a project that I had gotten half-way through and just wasn’t able to finish at the time! This dress is made out of a wonderful blue cotton from Vintage Vogue V8875 :) This was my first time working with a Vintage Vogue repro pattern and while it presented some interesting challenges and techniques I hadn’t tried before I must say I am pleased with the result!                                                    

  

I also wanted to share a few vintage treasures that I recently acquired! A close friends grandmother passed away and she was left with boxes of old sewing things like patterns, notions, and fabric. When she asked if there was anything I would like since she wanted to see it go to someone who would get use out of it I of course said yes! I came home with boxes of stuff and I thought you’d like to see some of it :) Feel free to swing by my blog frillz24.blogspot.com for more pictures and details!

{ 2 comments }

So I finally got around to making a wearable muslin of my “Ladies 1958 Party Dress” by Sense & Sensibility Patterns! I highly recommend this pattern to any newbie or experienced sewer! It was a dream to work with and very easy to alter. The full gathered skirt, and kimono-sleeved bodice are just wonderful! So comfortable and versatile this is the kind of pattern you can make either as fancy or as casual as you’d like it to be!

 

For my wearable muslin I used this great peach linen-blend fabric that I picked up at Hancock Fabrics on sale for 3.00 a yard! For the belt I just used some mint cotton broadcloth and fusible interfacing with some snaps on the back :) Find more details on my blog http://frillz24.blogspot.com/

 

 

 

 

{ 1 comment }